Review of Masked Intent

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Masked Intent

Post by Unique Ego »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Masked Intent" by Kimberly Greer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alexa and Mateo are drawn to each other at first sight, but they try to suppress their feelings. Eventually, Mateo decides to take things further with Alexa, but first, he has to break down her emotional walls. This leads him to join her running club, Renegade Running Club. Alexa, a kind and easy-going divorcee with three kids, has learned to mask her true feelings from the world. She works for a boutique PR firm where she is saddled with helping a reckless client, HedgeCo, forcing her to make controversial decisions against her integrity and beliefs. The events that unfold slowly bring her to the realization that she has been living in half-truths and self-deception for most of her life.

Meanwhile, the relationship between Alexa and Mateo is moving in the right direction. But as they get closer, complications from their pasts resurface. Trent, Alexa’s ex-husband; Janeilia, Mateo’s former fiancee; and Emery, a girl obsessed with Mateo, all come into the picture, each with their own motive. Plus, Alexa begins to receive threatening letters. What do these three people want with Alexa and Mateo? Why is Alexa being threatened? How is any of this connected to the circumstances of her work life?

Masked Intent was divided into five sections. Kimberly Greer wrote a story that portrayed the relationship humans often have with the truth when interacting with other people. She showed how honesty and accountability take a back seat in a world where inauthenticity is often viewed as right. Greer reflected on how people could be influenced to do anything without weighing their actions by anything that is true.

I liked the storyline of the book; it was realistic and relatable. The plot was an intriguing tale with lots of twists and turns surrounding the lives of Alexa and Mateo. Alexa’s life was fascinating to me; it seemed that between her work and personal life, she was the definition of double standards. At work, she was skilled at creating and indulging in deceitful schemes, but in her personal life, she held on to her integrity and truth while fighting like hell to ensure her work and personal lives didn’t mix. I also liked that the love story of Mateo and Alexa was realistic and relatable, in my opinion. I enjoyed how their love story unfolded amid all the problems surrounding them. The way they navigated the ups and downs that came their way made sense to me.

I also noticed the similarity in the names of Alexa’s children and her ex-husband’s name—Tristan, Trace, Treat, and Trent. I don’t know if this was intentional by the author, but it did provide me a nice little tongue-twister game to play on the side as I read. There was nothing to dislike about this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to people who love an unpolished love story.

Masked Intent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Hopefully they were able to get past the hurdles and enjoy a great friendship. Great reviews.
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The storyline is different and intriguing. I like the fact that the protagonist is a lady with three children which is rarely seen. Thanks for a well put together review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Love stories are in grades and shades. Thanks for the review.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

Thank you so much for writing this review! It has been a long time since I had read anything realistic. Honestly, based on the title alone, I expected this to be more of a fantasy novel or something among those lines. I'm really glad to have a further in-depth check as to what the story is like, and I will be rooting for the two main characters as I read their entanglements with exes and obsessed side lovers. Excited to get into this book!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Single-parent romances are always tricky because of children and the usual scars from the previous relationship. So, I can understand Alexa's emotional walls. It seems like an intriguing storyline with complex characters. Great and informative review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
mikl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mikl »

Masked Intent: Modern-Day Morality Play, it was a nice surprise. I really like the complexity of your messages, also this concept, about human relationship. It was a great experience.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Coffee, Kisses, and Bullets
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: The Haunting of Towne Point Mall by Jason Fischer
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 76%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Thanks for the review. I read the sample and wasn't sure if I wanted to continue. Your review has definitely piqued my interest further, so I will keep reading. I really appreciate the work you did, thanks again.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

The storyline seems interesting, especially what is related to Alexa. It is interesting to know how and why she manages that double life between work and personal. Also, the romantic part between Alexa and Mateo is appealing since they have to deal with many difficulties and people who get in their way.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Victorious
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 68%

Post by NetMassimo »

Romance is not my thing but I see that in this novel there's much more, with people who are not what they seem, deception, half-truths, and other hidden sides. I guess the result shows the complexities in human relationships rather than linearity. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Elize Vermaak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elize-vermaak.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Elize Vermaak »

The review is so well written, with just enough detail to intrigue me. I am definitely adding Alexa and Mateo's love story on my to-read list, I have to find out if they get their happily-ever-after.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a unique other fiction novel highlighting two amazing characters, breaking down emotional walls, personal growth, romance, and complications. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Harty Muli »

I would like to explore more about the complicated love relationship between Alexa and Mateo, especially because of their past relationships. Thanks for the informative review.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

Very beautiful love story with many obstacles. But when love is true, real and reciprocal, the obstacles end up disappearing. Very beautiful book of love
Danny Tash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danny-tash.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Danny Tash »

I love the fact that the book is a love story to me the concept of love is much more understandable compared to other fiction books.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”