Review of Randy the Irresistible

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of Randy the Irresistible

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy the Irresistible" by S M Goodier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier is a story that is entertaining and motivating. Born unexpectedly to John and Marjorie Love, Randy becomes the weak spot in the family, compared to his older siblings, Harriet and James, who are both successful in their different fields. While thinking about his children, John decides to pay more attention to Randy in order to ensure he goes through with his education.

Randy moves away from home to find a life for himself. In a bid to lead an independent life, Randy tries his hands on different jobs but still lives on support from family. On Randy’s journey of improvement and success, Randy meets a lot of people who become a part of his life. These people try to help him become better and arrive at his goal, but Randy’s confidence and persistence is the important ingredient of his life.

There was a lot to like about this book. One of the things I liked was how descriptive the book was. From the first chapter, I could picture Edna Montague’s physical appearance and expression. I could also picture Randy in the kitchen being shown how to do the dishes. Being able to imagine what I’m reading is always important to me, and I’m glad I could do that throughout the story.

This story was also very motivating. Despite all the challenges and pitfalls, Randy never gave up. He kept pushing, kept moving, and that paid off. In addition to the motivation, I experienced humor. One of many instances was when he opened the door for Edna and revealed a pair of torn boxers. There were many other humorous scenes. There were also awkward scenes that I found funny. These elements made reading about Randy’s unending journey easier to read.

There wasn’t much to dislike about the book but like I previously said, Randy’s journey seemed unending. I felt the volume of the book was too long for just one person’s journey. Also, after Randy’s family was introduced at the beginning, much wasn’t said about other characters. I’d have loved to know more about how James and Harriet beat the odds, especially Harriet. Generally, it was a great read, and I liked the book.

I have no reason to reduce a star, so my rating for this book is 4 out of 4 stars. Despite the volume of the book, the author made sure to engage the readers with humor, a technique that always works for me. Also, there weren't so many errors that disrupted my reading.

I recommend this book to everyone. If you like motivational stories or stories with humor, then you will enjoy this book. Generally, everyone will love this book.

Randy the Irresistible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”