Review of The Ascension of Mary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Currently Reading: The Arm and the Fall
Bookshelf Size: 386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Light at The End by Henry G.M. Jones
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 10%

Review of The Ascension of Mary

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ascension of Mary" by William West.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jonah Culpepper is an old black man who sits on his porch waiting for his dead wife, Esther, to come and get him because he is all alone. When tragedy struck his perfect life, Jonah gave up all hope and quit playing the piano. He is filled with guilt thinking he failed to protect his beloved family. Fourteen-year-old Mary and her single mother, Rachel, moved from California to the Village of Oak Park, west of Chicago, into Rachel's parents' house. Mary thinks a ghost lives in her bedroom, but her mother tells her it is the faulty light in her room. One day she sketches a face she dreams about, and her mother tells her it is the face of the father she never knew. Mary is scared because she doesn't know if the ghost wants to hurt her or not. Rachel warns Mary that the house across the street is evil. Is there a connection between Jonah, Mary, and Rachel? Why did Rachel move back home? Does a ghost haunt Mary's bedroom? What is dangerous about the house across the street?

The Ascension of Mary by William West has many positive aspects. This book has many lessons that we can all learn to make this world a better place without racism. The lesson I felt most relevant in today's world was "Politeness is not a characteristic of race." Regardless of your race, I agree that politeness is a choice we each make. Each chapter is written in the first tense and is devoted to Jonah, Mary, or Rachel. The plot flows smoothly through the book's three parts: “Apparitions,” “Miracles,” and “Revelations.”

Although the book involves racism, child molestation, hatred, and guilt, there was nothing I disliked. William West did a fantastic job of explaining how these topics affected the individuals involved. For example, he describes how hate destroys people and changes them. People who hate cannot find a way out of their misery and tend to lose hope and blame others for their unhappiness.

There are only two minor errors in this well-written book. I enjoyed the mystery and suspense I encountered throughout the book. I have no reason to give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars.

Adult readers who enjoy reading mysteries or crime thrillers involving ghosts are the best audience for this book. I do not recommend this book to sensitive readers triggered by racism, child abuse, violence, hatred, or borderline profanity. The sexual content is implied and non-descriptive.

The Ascension of Mary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Raymond N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymond-n.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Raymond N »

This story sounds spooky. Maybe, there could be a connection between all three of them, but how's that even possible? I'm interested in finding out
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Given the plot and the themes, I'm really interested to explore this book. I'm curious to find out about a lot of things! Definitely going to add on my shelf, thanks for the recommendation.😄
bhattuc
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: The Power of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 26
2022 Reading Goal: 15
2022 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by bhattuc »

The non-spoiler review of this book definitely invokes curiosity in my mind for knowing the logical end of the story. Would surely go through the book one day.
NwakorVian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwakorvian.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by NwakorVian »

Given the plot and review, I definitely want to read this to find out the connection Mary, Rachel and Jonah has.
alfynu
Bookshelf Size: 0
2022 Reading Goal: 2
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by alfynu »

[bco=][quote] :cry: :P [bco=][bn=][/bn][/bco][/quote][/bco]touching story but mary don't have to be afraid just believe in herself
Last edited by alfynu on 05 Jan 2022, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Darlington O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-o.html
Latest Review: Free to be Me by Annette Johnson

Post by Darlington O »

Curious to know if Mary's room is haunted. Thank you for this awesome review.
Darlington O
Currently Reading:

Post by Darlington O »

NwakorVian wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 12:01 Given the plot and review, I definitely want to read this to find out the connection Mary, Rachel and Jonah has.
From the review, the plot seems catchy. I hope you have a fantastic time reading
Darlington O
Currently Reading:

Post by Darlington O »

nwachukwu raymond wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 03:43 This story sounds spooky. Maybe, there could be a connection between all three of them, but how's that even possible? I'm interested in finding out
I believe there is a connection among three of them.
Pencrafter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pencrafter.html
Latest Review: Wrath of Justice by Denna Holm

Post by Pencrafter »

I believe that the world would be better off without racism. Thank you for your review
Edem Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edem-michael.html
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman
2022 Reading Goal: 360
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Edem Michael »

The book seems to have many positive aspect according to the review. The ascension involves Jonah and Mary, a fourteen-year-old girl. Mary is experiencing a weird thing, and I'd love to know if she survived it. Good review.
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Dogs of Warr by TR Gabriel

Post by Ghuddie »

Interesting storyline. Lovers of mysteries and crime thrillers will have a great time reading this one. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”