REVIEW: The Reluctant Intern by Bill Yancy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MamaBookAddict
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ashes by jeaniene Frost
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabookaddict.html

REVIEW: The Reluctant Intern by Bill Yancy

Post by MamaBookAddict »

* I received a free digital copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. * I really liked this book. I like medical novels to begin with so this was easy for me to read. It follows the story of Wolfe and his friends and fellow interns during a very hectic year at the hospital. Wolfe is not so sure he wants to be a doctor. He once thought he'd be an astronaut for NASA. But things change. As he goes through each rotation, learning many things (as does the reader alongside him), he still cant decide what specialty he's going to end up in. The head doctors arent making his choices - or his life - any easier either. I liked that, as the character went through each rotation, medical procedures and diagnoses were throughly described well enough that a lay person could understand what was going on, without feeling like I was being talked down to. Many years ago, I interned as a surgical technician (scrub nurse basically) and some of the terminology and situations were well written enough that I could really picture them. It wasnt just one long story about medicine. There were plenty of Wolfe's personal life and friendships along the way, along with his thoughts and worries about his job and his future. The one line towards the end about the 'new science fiction movie Star Wars' made me chuckle, and feel a little old, LOL. All in all, well written, easy to read and enjoy.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”