Review of Outfection

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Review of Outfection

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Outfection" by craig stucko.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Emily has been donating blood for years. A while after her latest donation, she got a call from a doctor at the hospital to come for a blood test. According to the doctor, a woman that was transfused with her blood suffered organ inflammation and died. Emily was petrified, but the doctor assured her it was just a few tests to rule out blood disease. The test results showed that she had a cell mutation, so she was scheduled for more tests. In search of clarity and direction, she climbed Mercury's Pinnacle, a mountain in her hometown purported to give the confused a sense of direction. As she geared up to leave, she met John, a tourist exploring the local attractions. They got acquainted and agreed to meet again. Later, John visited a local diner for dinner and saw Emily waiting tables. After her shift, she drove John to her home. They got better acquainted and shared an intimate moment. The next day, she told him about her blood anomaly. She didn't want to burden her parents with the information. She figured it was easier to share the news with a stranger she would probably never see again. He encouraged her to tell her parents and promised to support her through treatment. At the hospital, what was meant to be an outpatient procedure turned into a hostile situation with dodgy people hustling to capture Emily and exploit her unique DNA. The circumstances had them running for their lives. While on the run, she found out who John really is and why he visited her hometown.

Craig Stucko merges action, crime, romance, science, and paranormal elements to craft a tale that is as unique as it is fascinating. His ensemble of colourful characters amplifies the book's appeal.

I'm drawn to solid dialogues and multilayered characters. Hence, the characters' thought-provoking conversations reeled me in. The protagonist is a multilayered character with an interesting moral compass. I adore his zest for life and nature and how he lives in the moment and does what he needs to do in every situation.

At first, it was overwhelming to keep up with the book's many characters and plot arcs. However, I must commend the author for summing up the subplots with finesse and bringing the story to a satisfactory end.

That being said, I have a few quibbles. First, the fonts are microscopic. I had to squint to decipher the words on the pages. Secondly, when done right, lucid descriptions can make reading an immersive experience. However, in this case, the author went overboard. In one instance, he took almost one paragraph to explain the details of a business name sign and placement. Similar extraneous details weighed the plot down and slowed the story's pace.

Finally, the paragraphs jump from one character to another rather than focusing on one person's story arc per chapter. This peculiar structure made it hard to concentrate. Sometimes, I would be halfway through a paragraph before realizing who the paragraph is focused on.

Despite my quibbles, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The story is engaging and original. However, the book direly needs a professional editor. Its pages are teeming with grammatical and punctuation errors. Though the premise is good, a round of meticulous editing will make it great.

Outfection will appeal to action, romance, and paranormal literature fans. However, readers should beware that the book contains expletives, violence, and mild erotic scenes.

Outfection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

This is such a great review, impressive really. Though I don't know how I feel about this book. The combination of too many genres can make a plot overwhelming for a reader.
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

The review is very well written giving us an insight on the story. The story seems quite interesting as well. I'll try to look into it more. Thanks for the review.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Although the books sounds like an entertainment based on you great review, I think I wouldn't pick it up for its suggestive content.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

This is a well-written review but I am not really into books with too many characters. The story sounds interesting though. Thank you.
Oscar E Gomez
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oscar E Gomez »

As a just arrived, I am trying to read as many reviews as possible with a rate of 3 or less stars, to get familiar with the real important points to ponder when doing a review. I find this review excellent and it made me feel the necesity to know who is John, what is the problem with the blood of the protagonist and discover how all this adventure is going to end. Thanks for this great review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

This book would definitely be a good read. I love the plot and the storyline of the book. I would love to know if Emily survived in the end. Good review.
Camilla Kendi

Post by Camilla Kendi »

It has an amazing plot.the storyline is also amazing.i would like to know if Emma survived in the end.
Camilla Kendi

Post by Camilla Kendi »

Am sorry, Emily.i said Emma
sanket ag

Post by sanket ag »

It is A Great Book by one of the greatest authors of the time craig stuck. I have found this article which supports the theme of this book and i think that it is one of the best reads. Here is the link/en/blog/corporate-social-responsibility-example/

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”