Review of Cooperative Lives

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Review of Cooperative Lives

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the outside everything seems ordinary and routine. Average people, typical neighbors, simple families, all very normal until their lives are inadvertently intertwined and changed forever.

A talented writer, Patrick Finegan, author of Cooperative Lives, starts the book in a slow, easy manner. Major characters are tenants of the apartment building set in a midtown Manhattan address with Central Park and Carnegie Hall at its doorstep. The reader is eased into the story starting with George Wallis (Wally), who is one of the tenants and is a devoted husband and father as well as a brilliant hacker, then followed by everyone else. Another character is co-op tenant Mildred Whiting Blaszczyk, who not only wants to be known as a top romance writer, but also has a son who works for the government. The neighbors of the co-op all live their lives separately with little regard to the people they share a building with. The residents have their own priorities dealing with their interesting but complicated lives. The intensity progressively increases until the suspense hits its peak about halfway through the book when one day an accident involving an M7 bus brings these distant neighbors into each other's lives. Thus, the reader is left hanging over a chasm of riveting possibilities.

The book brings together separate characters and mixes their stories in an unpredictable way which left me amazed at the author's writing talent. This story has so much going for it. Packed with action and drama, yet the author does not lose the reader in the intensity of the plot as it unfolds all of its secrets.

What I like most about this book is the way the author weaves the story by changing the character’s perspective and the timeline. The author moves the characters between the present and the past to include backstories and subplots which aides in adding complexities to each character. This also creates an artificial suspense to the storyline and increases the tension as well as provides a deeper glimpse into each character’s lives. Unfortunately, this also causes a bit of confusion especially since there is no clear indication when the point of view or the plot changes. I think an extra space between the paragraphs or a symbol would have aided in recognizing when the change occurs within a chapter.

A positive aspect of the book is how the author brilliantly catches the essence of New York City. Not just the feeling in the scenes, but also the sights, sounds, and smells. The attention to detail is quite admirable especially when the author utilizes New Yorkers’ highly individualistic traits such as the lack of eye contact, lack of intimate connections, quick pace, and the unique small talk. This special writing style added an extra layer of literary artistry that thrusts the reader into the world of each character.

I truly enjoyed reading this book. I could see how the book exemplifies the way simple life events can create a tangled web of intense drama. This book makes you see how inconsequential and random events can connect to create a really good story. It also showcases how we affect everyone around us, in both small and big ways, and how we can coincidentally meet people from the past again in the future. Overall, I would say this book is a great representation of the world we live in today. I found nothing I disliked about this book.

I found no grammar errors so I would say this book is professionally well edited. Based on my reading experience, I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who enjoys a light read full of intrigue and suspense, but also shows a fantastic display of real human behavior would enjoy this book. There was some sexual content and profanity so I would say this book is not suitable for children or teens.

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The author's approach in which he moves the characters from the present to the past, with the inclusion of subplots, seems very interesting (although it can distract attention from the essence of the book).
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I'm curious as to what this accident was. And why exactly does it bring them all together. I like how immersive this book seems. Lovely review! :D
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I liked how the author seems to fulfil the idea of changing 'ordinary' to something unimaginable. Not only I'm intrigued but also very curious to explore the layers of the same. Great job with the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”