Review of Always losing something

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of Always losing something

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Always losing something" by Max Green this this this.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Always Losing Something, the author, Max Green, channels his experiences with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a disease that has no known cure. The story revolves around a talented and "unlucky" main character named after the author, Max Green. His journey is one of ups and downs, as he achieved his dream of becoming a professional footballer in the English Premier League at a young age but suffered the loss of his leg to a bull after his first title win. He picked himself up and branched into investment banking but later suffered the loss of his arm in the 9/11 terrorist attack. Compounding issues years later would be the fact that he was diagnosed with ALS. With the odds of survival being nonexistent, will Max lay down and accept his fate?

The story is told from the third-person perspective, and while it is not arranged chronologically, I enjoyed how the author presented it, as I found myself engaged in gradually discovering different aspects of Max's story and piecing them together. The story commences from Max's life in 2030, and I have to applaud the author's creative imagination in including some fascinating technological advancements, like Max's robot-operated suit that controlled his movements. His interesting predictions of future events are also thought-provoking. Football fans, like myself, will find some of these predictions both hilarious and insightful.

The author adequately uses this story to shed light on what ALS entails, especially with the lack of innovation and investment in its cure and the rise in the number of patients, especially athletes, getting affected by it. I found these aspects of the book highly educational and appreciated the amount of work the author put into not just presenting the information but also seamlessly incorporating it into the story. For example, through the story, we are introduced to the gene mutations, like the C9orf72 mutation, associated with the disease, the use of the forced vital capacity (FVC) as a measure of ALS progression in respiration, and the numerous symptoms that ALS patients suffer from involving the loss of motor functions in varying parts of the body.

Furthermore, the book explores themes of not just hope and heartbreak but also friendship. This was another highlight of the story for me, as I reveled in the friendship Max shared with his personal trainer, Arv, and his longtime friends, Tim Thompson and Jay Castle. Unluckily, Tim and Jay would also come down with ALS, but this would strengthen their bond even more and highlight the importance of having true friends in your corner in difficult times.

Furthermore, Always Losing Something is a professionally well-edited book. I found just one punctuation error while reading. I also cannot point to any aspect of the book I do not like. The book took me through a range of emotions while I connected with and felt deeply for the main characters. It also educated me on a condition that urgently needs more investment from the pharmaceutical industry. Therefore, a maximum rating of four out of four stars is in order. Mature readers who enjoy speculative fiction will thoroughly enjoy this book.

Always losing something
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Very enlightening review, the representation of the acronym ALS to mean both the disease and the book title are very creative, as well as the light shed on the disease is very captivaty...much appreciated.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

This book really seems to give a relaxing yet an educative read. It's an intelligent effort on the author's side writing book in prediction of future possibilities.
Signature of Grace.
Kajol Dadhania
Favorite Book: Open Water
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajol-dadhania.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kajol Dadhania »

Great Review :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Imagine if we had no secrets, no respite from the truth. What if everything was laid bare the moment, we introduced ourselves?
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I love how educational this book is and I love hearing technological thoughts people have for the future. Thank you for a great review.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This book seems to give out hope even if it has a lot of heartbreaking scenes and tearful themes. I also think that this is very enlightening about the author's incurable disease. Thank you for the great review!
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

Apple 7 wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 07:24 Very enlightening review, the representation of the acronym ALS to mean both the disease and the book title are very creative, as well as the light, shed on the disease is very captivating...much appreciated.
You certainly have keen eye for detail :wink:
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

This book sounds like it has it all: thoughtful, insightful, educational, and entertaining. The summary is very thorough and explains the book really well. I especially like how the book is not in chronological order as that adds an interesting factor for me. Thanks for the great review!
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The author's perspective on the book is quite amazing. Max Green is an interesting character who is passing through things, I would love to read the book. Good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”