Review of Dreams Are to Be Lived

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Winnie_Grace
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winnie-grace.html
Latest Review: UNUM: Infinity and Eternity by Rudy Ernst

Review of Dreams Are to Be Lived

Post by Winnie_Grace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dreams Are to Be Lived" by Jerry A. Greenberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dreams Are to Be Lived by Jerry A. Greenberg is a remarkable story, emphasizing on the importance of not to compromise with the dreams of life. Bobby Leveret, from an early age decides to pursue art and make a living out of his dream by becoming an artist. The story progresses on the line that Bobby’s father, Al Leveret, disapproves of his son’s choice of career with a typical thought supported by the belief that artists live a life of struggle and financial insecurity. On the surface, like Bobby, we see instances where Al’s disapproval stems from the fact that his circumstances did not provide enough resources and space to him to pursue the dream of becoming an architect. It is only later that underlying complex reasons become apparent which are traced back to the horrible past of Al Leveret. Cindy Leveret, Bobby’s mother, is a submissive wife who avoids participating in decision-making and is naïve and unaware of the intimate life of her husband. In the end, the turn of events fills Cindy with unimaginable strength to break free and carve a life unbothered by the new revelations of her married life. The novel’s events are fictionalized based on a strong personal belief of Jerry A. Greenberg, in following dreams and never letting life make you look down and holding a tight grip on what you want to be.

The language of the novel is simple to understand and is capable of communicating the intrinsic aspect of the character’s feelings and events. Jerry A. Greenberg triumphed in highlighting the complexities of traumas and how they affect real-life events. Al Leveret’s familial secrets grip the major plot of the novel. Bobby looks for ways to get closer to his father in order to persuade him to approve of his studying art in college. However, his attempt disturbs the layers of Al’s mental and emotional health, resurfacing his inner demon. The character of Rose, Al’s sister, is woven mysteriously which compels the reader to delve deeper into the facts of the past of Leveret’s family. Like Bobby, it becomes crucial for us to understand why Rose is the way she is and what runs on the deeper level in Leveret’s family that brings such varied personalities in these two siblings. The novel raises questions on the family as an institution, as a source of warmth, empathy, and emotional growth as well as the role of society in using humans or families as pawns of their own ends.

Like the title of the book suggests, Bobby promotes the determination to live and fight for one’s dreams and to never abandon who you want to become. He even attempts to resurrect his father’s dream of becoming an architect. Third-person narration succeeds in closely capturing the internal struggle of the characters and presenting that in a way that evokes empathy and feelings of vulnerability. The horror that Al Leveret and Rose Leveret survive sends shivers down the spine. Cindy and Bobby are not immune to the sufferings that began in Al’s childhood; rather they have to uncover what they are dealing with in order to break free from the sufferings. Bobby’s exceptional intelligence and unwavering determination to not give up on his dreams and uncover the underlying reasons of his father’s condition enable him to act better in the testing situation.

Not only that, but the book emphasizes on the concept of a romantic relationship between two best friends, Bobby and Carolyn. The fear of losing a best friend to a romantic relationship is something that most people can find relatable. Both of them respond to this conflict maturely and precisely, placing a high value on the beauty of their friendship, which may suffer as a result of their uncertain future.

By the end of the book, the readers discover the secrets that link together all the missing pieces of information and reinforce that some aspects of the past are difficult to overcome. Unresolved traumas hidden within grows and have the potential to ruin a beautiful present.

I would give this book four out of four stars. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the unfolding of Leveret family's secret caught me in the jaw dropping moment. The book is well-written and has no major editing flaws. I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of sixteen, and especially to those who enjoy reading content that elicits an emotional response.

Dreams Are to Be Lived
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I'm not going to lie, the book's title entices me, and after reading your review, I'm ready to get my hands on it. Thanks for a wonderful review!^^

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”