Review of A Christmas Carol

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Review of A Christmas Carol

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens & Wilbur Edwin Henry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Christmas Carol (Like the Dickens) is a two-hour, narrated version of the original, well-loved story by Charles Dickens. It tells of a stingy, mean-spirited man, named Scrooge, meeting the ghost of Jacob Marley, his deceased partner, and the three spirits: Christmas Past, Christmas Present, and Christmas Future. With their help, he discovers the true meaning of Christmas and has a complete change of heart. Wilbur Edwin Henry, the author and narrator, has kept the essence of Dickens’ original work. The familiar dialogue remains, but he has condensed some of the lengthy descriptions. He also changed a few passages and words to make the text more understandable for the modern reader or listener.

My review is on the Audible version of Mr. Henry’s work. His narrative performance was outstanding and was my favorite part of this assignment. Wilbur Edwin Henry is an experienced actor and shows his talent as he portrays Scrooge and all the other characters in the story. He effectively conveys Scrooge’s excitement and fear. The narrator’s soothing voice is appealing and well modulated. It was easy to hear and understand his words.

There was nothing I disliked about this version of the story and the performance recording. When I selected this to review, I was expecting a modernized version of the story, as are many of today’s movie scripts. But it happily surprised me to find the story was essentially the same as the original, although easier for me to understand.

This would be perfect for the whole family to enjoy during the Christmas season or anytime. At just under two hours, it is short enough for you to listen to in one sitting. Adults and older children should be able to listen and easily understand this well-acted play. It may be too long for younger children. However, there is nothing offensive in the story, and it is completely suitable for all ages. The presence of ghosts and spirits may frighten some listeners.

Since this is an Audible recording, I could not tell if there were grammatical or spelling errors. I heard nothing blatantly wrong with the performance, and I believe it is an extremely well-edited story. I completely enjoyed this narrative. Listening to this will become my family’s new holiday tradition. Because I liked the recording so much, I am awarding it a perfect score. A Christmas Carol (Like the Dickens) by Wilbur Edwin Henry and Charles Dickens deserves 4 out of 4 stars.

A Christmas Carol
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

As I don't know much about Christmas I would like to learn about this story. It looks like a fun ride but let's see how it turns out. Thanks for the review
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This book comes rights in time. Thanks for this perfect review.
Shilisia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilisia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shilisia »

I would definitely love the audio of this. I absolutely love Christmas. Thank you.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Discovering the true meaning of Christmas is a necessary thing. It would be good for us to have good knowledge of this season that we celebrate. Good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”