Review of The Shorter Proust

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of The Shorter Proust

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shorter Proust" by Jim Putz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Shorter Proust, written by Jim Putz, is an abridged version of one of the most notorious works in French literature: À La Recherche Du Temps Perdu (Remembrance of Things Past), written by Marcel Proust. Putz’s remarkable work intends to include the essential structure and the crucial characters, places, and themes, following the same sequence and a similar narrative style, and it delivers! This extraordinary collection, written using the first person, revolves around the unnamed narrator’s memories and reflections.

The book starts with memories of the protagonist’s childhood as he sojourned at his grandparents’ property in Combray, where they went every year in Holy Week. An important character, present since the beginning of the story, is Monsieur Swann, a friend of the protagonist’s family who gets involved with a woman of ill reputation named Odette, a former courtesan whom he later marries. The aristocratic Guermantes family, which also has an estate in Combray, are integral parts of the protagonist’s life, especially the Duchess, the Baron de Charlus, and his nephew Robert. After Combray, the protagonist reminisces about his travels to a seaside town named Balbec, where he meets his future wife, Albertine, and a painter named Elstir. A few tragic events mark the protagonist’s life, but no spoilers are allowed!

There are several positive aspects to this book, and I felt that Putz’s abridgment honored and highlighted them beautifully. For starters, it is ripe with social commentary, and this aspect was what I liked the most. With events that took place in the years around 1900, it is an outstanding and distinctive memoir, and it chronicles not only the narrator’s past but also European society as a whole. Throughout the story, the protagonist frequently comments on the gap between two separate worlds: the middle class (bourgeois) and aristocracy. These reflections permeate the whole collection. For instance, during the protagonist’s childhood walks in Combray, there are two different paths (or sides): the Méséglise (Swann’s Way) and the Guermantes Way. Although the protagonist’s family members are not aristocrats, they love to hobnob with nobles, particularly the Guermantes family.

Also, I enjoyed the author’s use of language and how he gave readers a vivid historical account. For instance, I appreciated the passage where the protagonist goes to Paris and reflects on the considerable changes the First World War brought to the social order. WWI is a momentous event for the protagonist, as one would expect. In 1916, he noted that the war was “the only subject that was of interest to me.” The period brings him great sorrow. The descriptions of the darkened streets during air raids were impressive, as was the destruction sustained by Combray.

Additionally, homosexuality is a theme that colors the story. For instance, Robert, although married to a woman, gets involved in homosexual affairs. The narrator’s wit regarding these episodes is noteworthy: “Homosexuals would be the best husbands in the world if they did not make a show of being in love with other women.” Later, the protagonist is devastated to learn that his friend had lost his life in battle.

In closing, there’s no negative aspect in this impressive work; it seems professionally edited, with just a few minor mishaps. I gladly give it the highest rating: 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend it to those who enjoy classic works of literature. If you dislike voluminous books, though, it might not please you as much.

The Shorter Proust
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

This book's cover and title attracted my attention, and historical fiction is my genre. The storyline seems complex but interesting (a combo I like).
Great review.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I was intrigued by the title of the book and after reading the review I can say I'm quite interested in it. A complex storyline is generally not my type but I'll try this one out. Thanks for the review.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

Although it is an abridged version, I think I like it. The book is quite fascinating. Thanks for your honest review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The author did a good job in giving enough details. It makes it easy to flow with the storyline. I'd love to see how well this abridged version ended. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”