Review of Journeys from the Viewing Pool

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Journeys from the Viewing Pool

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journeys from the Viewing Pool" by William J Monihan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Journeys from the Viewing Pool by William J. Monihan, Noadiah, a Neophyte, was assailed by feelings of emptiness after the other half of his essence left him in search of the "Broader Spectrum of Light." A chance encounter with Joshua, who later became a friend, had him scaling a mountain in search of another man called Tobias. His journey to Tobias led him to another world different from the one he knew, where the rules were different, and perseverance was a must-have.

The first pages created a suspended feeling — an anxious state of waiting as though something was about to happen. This later turned into an intrigued sense of excitement that would drive and maintain the reader's attention. There was this poetic quality to the author's tone, which also came across as philosophical. There was a compelling sound to the author's voice that pulled in and demanded that the words in the book be not taken with levity.

This book had a spiritual feel to it. It was as if one was voyaging through the mind of a sage. This is because of the parallel, almost mystical world that the author created and the deep introspection of life issues. It was almost as if some omnipotent, all-knowing eye had written it. This all-knowing entity was symbolized by the character of Tobias and even the concept of the 'viewing pool.' This book reminded me of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist and the similarity of purpose in the protagonists' journeys of both books.

Like the title suggested, this book was a journey of self-discovery — a quest for purpose and justification for existence. The journeys were symbolic presentations that, in a way, were reminiscent of the constant question that would reoccur in every human's life: what is my purpose?

The author provided a removed, third-party reflective analysis of what being human entailed — a straightforward mixture of the pains and joys of human existence. The author succeeded in his purpose and exposed readers to the paradox of human life: sweet yet bitter and painful yet worth living. In doing this, Monihan presented a persuasive pitch to readers to become like gold and be transformed by life's troubles into priceless gems.

By the end of the book, readers would have discovered that it told the story of love — the type that transcends time, space, and life itself. Through the life of the main character, Noadiah, the author exemplified the intense driving force of love, which would be intense enough to give form and strength to those who found it.

I found this book to be saturated with many life lessons about the essence of life and individuality. Indeed this book was a combination of paradoxes and symbolisms, and I loved it. The book was well-written and devoid of editing issues; there was nothing not to like about it. Therefore, I’d rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Readers who love deep thinking into life issues would appreciate the concept of this book.

Journeys from the Viewing Pool
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Hani97
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Hani97 »

In your review, you have studied the main aspects of the book, as well as the main idea that the writer tried to convey to the reader. Thank you. I got an idea of ​​the subject in general.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

The review was quite amazing and it discussed everything that I needed to know about the book, but frankly it's not my type, sorry. Thanks for the review though.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The book seems to be a journey of self-discovery. I love the author's perspective, and the writing style was quite engaging. Good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”