Review of Dust to Dust

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Dust to Dust

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dust to Dust" by C.E. McClelland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will McConnelly seemed to have everything—a gorgeous wife, an adorable three-year-old son, and a job he loved—until he came home one night from work to find a fire had taken away his wife and son. Spiraling into depression, he turned to alcohol to deaden the pain of his loss. His father-in-law, who grew up in Ireland, asked Will to transport the ashes of his family there and scatter them in the beautiful hills of Drumkeeran. He had promised his daughter to accompany her someday to Ireland, but that had never happened. Will decided to fulfill the old man’s wishes, thinking he would commit suicide while there and join his family.

On the plane, he encounters a psychic Scottish gentleman who seems to perceive things about him that he shouldn’t know. He provides Will with three words to remember, although Will doesn’t grasp why they are significant. After reaching Drumkeeran, he begins to personally experience the Irish magic that he had previously thought was just a myth. He decides to take up a quest that he hopes will lead to peace and erase his pain. Is Ireland’s magic going to be able to repair Will’s heart, or is the danger involved with his search for relief going to cost him his life?

Dust to Dust by C.E. McClelland is a 404-page novel with the short addition of a dictionary of Irish pronunciations at the end of the book. The dictionary isn’t needed to understand the book, but it is given to us to show how Gaelic words sound different when spoken than they look like they should. A majority of the dialogue occurs in the Irish dialect but wasn’t hard for me to understand. Will is a college drama professor, and several Shakespearean quotes are woven into the story. The narrative is told from the third-person point of view, mostly from Will’s perspective. Mr. McClelland’s prose is descriptive and caused me to want to visit Ireland. His well-developed characters are believable and relatable.

The story alternates from Will’s present-day life to his memories of his life with his wife and son. A broad range of emotions, like happiness, depression, guilt, fear, and anger, are skillfully portrayed in the tale. I felt like crying when Will came home and discovered his house on fire. He blames himself for being at work instead of at home. In addition to his skill in portraying emotions, the author demonstrates a vivid imagination, which includes incorporating Irish folklore into the story. Twists are also included making it difficult to know where the tale will go next and keeping it suspenseful.

As I detected nothing in the book that I didn’t enjoy, Dust to Dust achieves a rating of four out of four stars. This book is recommended to readers who enjoy fantasy stories with well-developed characters, especially novels pertaining to going on a quest that involves danger. Sensitive people should be aware profanities and sex are encountered in the novel. In addition, parts of this story are quite sad. If any of this is a problem, then the reader might want to look elsewhere.

Dust to Dust
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

How can a man overcome such a terrible tragedy? Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Poor Will! Just from your review I feel great sympathy for him. I hope his quest is successful. Thank you for a lovely review! :D
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

Quite an interesting and creative plot. It is believable too. Thanks for a detailed review.
Famooosha1
Currently Reading: The Richest Man In Babylon
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Famooosha1 »

After going through the review, I know this is a book for me. I would want to know what Will passed through while on the beautiful hills of Drumkeeran. Actually, I don't seem to understand how a man who is passing through such darkness like Will will find peace. I'm already enjoying the suspense from the review, thanks to the great work from the reviewer of Dust to Dust.

I will like to see the Irish magic that would bring joy to Will. My thanks, also, goes to the author of the book since it has been stated that one do not need a dictionary to understand the book, this shows how simplified the book is.

I can't wait to add this book to my shelf.
Angel_gaze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel-gaze.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Angel_gaze »

I'm intrigued by the idea of actual magic in Ireland. This sounds like an emotional story of healing with a twist. Thanks for the detailed review.
A balanced life is a cup of tea in one hand and a book in the other :wink:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ekezie1998 wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 11:06 How can a man overcome such a terrible tragedy? Would definitely love to have this book on my shelf.
It's hard to imagine. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 13:32 Poor Will! Just from your review I feel great sympathy for him. I hope his quest is successful. Thank you for a lovely review! :D
Thank you for taking the time to read my review and comment!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

jessicadosreisb wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 17:27 This point turn on me curiosity. The stories in this book cover a wide range of motifs revolving around dark humour, ghosts, love, stopgap, and a lot further. Each story is different from the story that comes after it. And the chapter when she heard the dragon’s cry and did what any compassionate child would do and saved it. Marie got abducted a couple of times after. She demurred and screamed, but her abductors didn't watch, as they were only after the profit they would make from dealing an adolescent girl. The dragon heard the cry and pondered on whether to risk its own life to save the girl. Did the dragon go to save the girl? Did her abductors ultimately vend the girl? Those are the questions compendiums will get answers to when they read the book.
I'm not sure what book you are referencing, but it isn't this book. There is no Marie in this book, and there is only one story, not multiple ones. :lol:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

jessicadosreisb wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 17:41 The best part is on the airplane, he encounters a psychic Scottish gentleman who seems to perceive effects about him that he shouldn’t know. He provides Will with three words to remember, although Will doesn’t grasp why they're significant. After reaching Drumkeeran, he begins to tête-à-tête witness the Irish magic that he'd preliminarily allowed was just a myth. He decides to take up a hunt that he hopes will lead to peace and abolish his pain. Is Ireland’s magic going to be suitable to repair Will’s heart, or is the peril involved with his hunt for relief going to bring him his life?
Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Joyjim wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 17:48 Quite an interesting and creative plot. It is believable too. Thanks for a detailed review.
It was a very enjoyable story. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Famooosha1 wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 17:57 After going through the review, I know this is a book for me. I would want to know what Will passed through while on the beautiful hills of Drumkeeran. Actually, I don't seem to understand how a man who is passing through such darkness like Will will find peace. I'm already enjoying the suspense from the review, thanks to the great work from the reviewer of Dust to Dust.

I will like to see the Irish magic that would bring joy to Will. My thanks, also, goes to the author of the book since it has been stated that one do not need a dictionary to understand the book, this shows how simplified the book is.

I can't wait to add this book to my shelf.
Thanks for your kind words. I feel sure that you will enjoy the book!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Angel_gaze wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 04:23 I'm intrigued by the idea of actual magic in Ireland. This sounds like an emotional story of healing with a twist. Thanks for the detailed review.
I really appreciate you taking the time to read my review and giving us your thoughts. :D
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

You always read the most interesting book! I love to discover Shakespearean quotes and Irish words, so I am anxious to start it. Thank you for this amazing recommendation and a captivating review!
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I enjoy fantasy stories and this looks like the one for me.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”