Review of :The Long Walk Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of :The Long Walk Home

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ":The Long Walk Home" by J.H. Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can you imagine what an apocalyptic world would look like? Well, this series certainly gives us that feel. The Long Walk Home: The Valley is a 25-chapter fiction novel by J.H. Johnson that served as a sequel to The Long Walk Home: When the Lights Went Out.

After Van Dearing had buried Jack's father, they set off on their journey on foot the next day, with Van talking and advising those he encountered on the way on survival methods. Meanwhile, there has been speculation about the sighting of lights at the valley, and Frank feels that it might have caused the lights to go off. However, this was not an authentic and reasonable explanation for Van. The group must survive all odds posed in the form of attacks, hunger, and thirst. Just as Van and others were set to proceed on their journey, Van noticed something disconcerting and alarming. Grab a copy of this book to read up on the group's adventure and experiences along the valley.

I love that the book contained a map of their routes at its end. This made the book relatable. Also, the book was suspenseful, and the fact that Van kept repeating that they didn't know what they were likely to face ahead heightened the tension. I must also commend the epic way the book ended, as I already hunger for the next sequel to this series.

In addition, the plot is exciting and straightforward to understand. It involved adventure and survival. It was fun and heartwarming to read the things they did for survival. I admire how they joke, laugh, relax, and stay together, despite their situation.

The characterization was excellent, with each character performing their unique roles. Van Dearing could be defined as a leader. I admire the way he trains his children, his love for them, his responsibility for those under his care, and how he would look out for other people. Jack and Van's conversations were hilarious and served as comic relief that made the book light-hearted. These positive points are the motivation factor to my rating of four out of four stars.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and there is nothing I dislike in it, as it was fun reading it. It was also professionally edited, as I found just a few minor errors while reading. I recommend The Long Walk Home: The Valley by J.H. Johnson to lovers of adventure and fiction novels. It is a piece anyone would enjoy.

:The Long Walk Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Hani97
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Hani97 »

The review was rather short, as the purpose of the novel and what idea the writer tries to convey to the reader was not mentioned.
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Survival in challenging times....nice
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

This book seems really entertaining.
Mody C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Mody C »

Hani97 wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 02:40 The review was rather short, as the purpose of the novel and what idea the writer tries to convey to the reader was not mentioned.
Agree with you. I couldn't guess what's the story is going to be. It's too generic.
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book is a fascinating work of fiction. I love the suspense within it and the storyline is entirely awesome. Good review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

The characterization of the story is wonderful. The ook seems to have an apocalyptic theme within it. I would love to read the book. Good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”