Review of Eight O'May

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of Eight O'May

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eight O'May" by William T. Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eight O' May, a novel written by William T. Brown, revolves around Charlie Dawson, an African-American scientist who grew up in Mississippi and now lives in Albuquerque. The protagonist seeks to understand the mysterious murder of his uncle when he was just a kid in the 1950s, which was motivated by racial issues. This first-person narrative revolves around the main character's quest for the whole truth behind this heinous murder.

When the story begins, Charlie is getting ready to travel to New Orleans for a conference. Fortuitously, right before this trip, the protagonist finds a newspaper that mentions the murder of his uncle, Prince Dawson, thirty years before, on May 9, 1951. This episode is just one of a series of coincidences that will change Charlie's life dramatically, but no spoilers are allowed!

What I most enjoyed about this novel was its markedly significant and vibrant historical setting. The suspenseful plot unfolds against a series of staggering and rich cultural backdrops. I found the original and ingenious perspectives on segregation in the 1950s and 1960s to be particularly noteworthy.

After so much said and written about segregation, I wondered what more was there to say on the subject. It turned out to be quite a lot, actually, and I was pleasantly surprised by the author's unusual approach. For instance, I learned that although the Civil War ended in April of 1965, slaves in northeast Mississippi and northwest Alabama only heard they were free on May 8, which has long been called "Emancipation Day" and popularly known as "Eight O' May." Moreover, up into the 1950s, black communities throughout the region held celebrations on that historic date, with parades, speeches, baseball games, and religious ceremonies, among other festivities.

Above all, I appreciated how the author weaves his reflections about racial issues into the plot; he does it subtly and skillfully, which I enjoyed. On one occasion, Charlie and his mother reminisce about a painful episode involving registering to vote, which marked their lives when segregation was a harsh and ever-present reality in America.

In closing, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars; there are no negatives worth mentioning in it. I found Eight O' May to be a testament to the importance of revisiting our past. It seems professionally edited, for I found no mistakes in it. I believe this novel will surely appeal to readers interested in racial issues, and I would also recommend it to those who appreciate whodunnit mysteries.

Eight O'May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I wonder what this event that changed Charlie's life is. Great job, now you've made me curious to read it.
Poojitha Borra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojitha-borra.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Poojitha Borra »

I like mysteries, and with a subject like on racial issues, this would also be an informative read. I will check this out. Great review!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This is an interesting, fast-paced story, as the protagonists are in search of the reason why his uncle was murdered when he was a kid. Maybe I will need to find out. Thank you for your review.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

Sounds like a fascinating read! I would love to pick this one up. Thank you for your review!
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

The summary of the book is very well written. I feel compelled to read this book to find out who murdered the protagonist's uncle and to learn more about our history. Thank you for the detailed review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”