Review of No Matter The Price

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of No Matter The Price

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Matter The Price" by Daniel Pare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In No Matter The Price by Daniel Pare, Karen and Larry Turner were ravaged by their only son's condition. Jason Turner, a boy who showed much promise, suddenly became a recluse. What should have been a usual bout of temporary depression degenerated into years of struggle with mental ill-health. At their wits' end and finances stretched to a breaking point, both parents suspected that they only had a slim chance to save their beloved boy. One parent came up with a pretty normal solution, while the other parent came up with a bizarre solution. For Jason, anything was worth doing.

With his carefully crafted words, Pare narrated Jason Turner's story in incredibly straightforward language. The tone of the book was one of profound sadness. Every word connected me emotionally to the story. This book was an emotional rollercoaster. I'd advise readers to be ready to cry, be sad, feel pain and anger, find themselves drawn into the journey of the Turners, and laugh, albeit not with joy but with a desperate melancholy.

Though the story narrated was common, Pare managed an authentic uniqueness with the way he narrated it. He focused on the characters rather than the situation. The author exposed me to the sufferings of the loved ones of persons living with mental illness. He pulled back the blinders and showed me desperation very much akin to the madness that could bedevil mental illness victims' kins.

The social significance of Pare's book is crucial. The truth is that mental health conversations are needed now more than ever, especially with the proliferation of social media. Perhaps, like Karen and Larry, we may have asked ourselves, from where did it all come? However, our focus should be to normalize mental illness just like every other illness and remove its attendant stigma for victims and their loved ones. We also have to ensure that a welcoming atmosphere is provided to speak the truth and hopefully save lives.

The author reveals another pandemic that kills as subtly as mental disorders. It is the 'everything is fine' syndrome. Maybe it is the society that has demanded from us to be strong and appear impenetrable. But sometimes, our strength is in our vulnerability. Readers may be encouraged to have this pandemic stifled with a shame-free willingness to say, 'everything isn't fine.'

No Matter The Price is about love, desperation, and sacrifice. I recommend it to parents, teenagers, and young adults. Anyone providing care for people living with mental illness can pick a copy of this book. Finally, I believe everyone can learn something from this book. There's nothing to dislike about No Matter The Price; it is well written and has minimal errors. I rate this book four out of four stars.

No Matter The Price
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ebere favour N
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ebere favour N »

Like the book says I want all mental illness to be normalized just like every other illness and remove its attendant stigma for victims and their loved ones.thank you
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

An emotional rollercoaster, indeed! Thank you for the great review!
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

' The everything is fine syndrome' is indeed a pandemic affecting a host of us today. I love the review!
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I've only cried once in my life while reading a book and I think this book will be added to my list if it is as good as the reviewer suggests.
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

Having dealt with some mental health issues, my whole being revolves around removing the stigma, breaking the myths and creating a safe space for people, a place of understanding. I think reading this book is a necessity and it should be a good place to start the conversation.
By the way, this was such a beautifully crafted review! I applaude you! Thank you! :)
David Iba
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by David Iba »

In life one must alway come with good solution to one health condition. I love this book.
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

Unless you are a trained professional, nothing in life really prepares you to deal with mental health issues. Reading this book will hopefully give one some insights that can make a difference in approach. Well done on a great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”