Review of Senior Singles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: Generation Steam by Gordon Sinclair
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Senior Singles

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Senior Singles" by Tony Jenkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Senior Singles by Tony Jenkins, we meet Tom Hartley, a widower who just lost his wife after thirty-five years of their happy married life. After the funeral, it became glaring that Tom's life would never be the same. He soon realized there was no way he could cope with living and maintaining their big house alone, so he sold the house and bought a smaller one.

As time passed, Tom, who was also retired, needed to keep himself busy. Hence, he involves himself in many activities like holidays, sports, yoga, amongst many others, during which he meets other senior singles willing to mingle. Tom's new lifestyle isn't without its share of consequences, some of which are funny, annoying, and even heartbreaking. Perhaps he could find love again, but is Tom ready to commit to one partner after being single again? You have to read the book to find out.

I am in awe of how Jenkins could spin a simple plotline into such a fascinating story. I must commend him for making the story relatable regardless of the reader's age, as the tale mainly revolves around characters in their retirement age. I enjoyed the author's relaxed narrating style, which made the novel seem like a true-life story. His use of the first-person point of view helped me appreciate Tom's character better, and I found that it prevented unnecessary narrations, especially regarding other characters.

What I enjoyed most about Senior Singles was the humor in it. I am yet to reach the retirement stage in my life, but this author managed to crack me up with his funny and soothing descriptions. I can't help but imagine how hilarious readers who have reached that stage in life would find the book. The author excellently portrayed the desperation to mingle among some senior singles. I laughed out loud when one of the female characters was almost stalking Tom because she considered him the ideal man for her. I also enjoyed the moderate sexual content in the book and smiled at some of Tom's coquettish moves.

Another praiseworthy aspect of the book is the author's description of the scenes. I enjoyed how he described the landscape and environment of the places Tom visited. The author rekindled my wish to travel the world through his vivid descriptions, and I felt as if I accompanied Tom and his best friend, Dickie, to the places they visited. Furthermore, I appreciate the underlying message of the need for us to contribute to the development of our communities. More so, readers will get some inspiring tips on how to enjoy life after retirement.

For me, the only issue in this book is its characterization. I didn't relate or empathize with the supporting characters as much as I would have liked. And I blame it on the shallow background stories for them. Notwithstanding, I had a good time reading the book and won't hold a grudge for that. The story has a satisfying end, and I find its themes of friendship and romance refreshing. I am also happy to report that I found only a few errors throughout the book. Hence, I rate Senior Singles four out of four stars and highly recommend it to adults who would enjoy a fascinating story about the lives of single senior citizens.

Senior Singles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paluk Pathania
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Even though the plot sounds monotonous, I like the fact that the author has done his best to make it look humourous. This book sounds quite fun! I would love to explore this one. Thanks for such a great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: A Sundance by Robert Nissan

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This seems like a version of "Grumpy Old Men" :) I love books that include humor, so this seems like a good choice. Thank you for your interesting recommendation!
Niens Now
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Survival of Species
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niens-now.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Niens Now »

I am fascinated by the lives of seniors since we are all headed there. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Richard Philip
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Richard Philip »

This teaches alot about life relations and enlightened my mind like building up my mentality faculty. Thanks for a great review
Last edited by Richard Philip on 12 Oct 2021, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Fareed Regal
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Fareed Regal »

I already started chuckling as I was reading your review. Like Tom, I have also reached "that stage of, life" so am looking forward to reading the book. Great review!
peace_m
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html
Latest Review: 60 Miles My Trials And Smiles by Sophie Johnson

Post by peace_m »

I think the description of the landscape and environment of the places Tom visited made the book more relatable, which is what I like the most about your review. Great review!
Rashawn Carter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashawn-carter.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Rashawn Carter »

I could see myself falling in love with this novel. Humor mixed in with a man trying to rediscover the dating scene after a loss sounds like a entertaining read! Thank you for your detailed review! :D
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: An Unforgotten Heart by Sandy Schachter

Post by Nonso Ok »

peace_m wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 18:36 I think the description of the landscape and environment of the places Tom visited made the book more :) relatable, which is what I like the most about your review. Great review!
The author paid good attention to description and detail!
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: An Unforgotten Heart by Sandy Schachter

Post by Nonso Ok »

Fareed Regal wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 16:21 I already started chuckling as I was reading your review. Like Tom, I have also reached "that stage of, life" so am looking forward to reading the book. Great review!
The reviewer did an amazing job here. I'm looking forward to reading the book too.
RayRuff
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayruff.html
Latest Review: Phantom Siblings by Carolyn Taylor-Watts

Post by RayRuff »

Great review! This sounds like a lovely book to read. The title of the book itself made me laugh. I wonder how the dating scene is for seniors.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: The First Empire by Robert D Gallagher

Post by Luchris_michael »

I like Tom's sense of responsibility. I think this book would be a good read. Thanks for your review.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

This book seems like a good read. I am intrigued by what you have written in your review and would certainly love to discover more about Tom and his love life. The title of the book is quite catchy too. Excellent review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”