Review of No Remedio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of No Remedio

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Remedio" by Jason Akley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For both good and bad, No Remedio by Jason Akley is one of the most chaotic and jagged books I've ever read. The book is set in Illinois, and there are several mentions of the COVID Pandemic and "election fraud." Each chapter, I mean there is no proper division of chapters, let's say "each part of the book" has a monologue and story of a different character (men, women, etc.) that are somehow connected to James Delgado, a veteran who fought in Afghanistan. As he could not adapt again to civilian life, Delgado returned to stealing cars, and excessive drinking and fighting with his wife led to his arrest.

The most exciting thing about the book is that it discusses several social problems currently plaguing the United States. The first theme is the despair and purposelessness that the lives of veterans returning to the US seem to have. Secondary themes also appear like the effect of drugs on Americans' lives, the question of religion, and how love relationships have been failing miserably in ever-increasing numbers. In this light, the book is interesting because it discusses the lives of different individuals in a chaotic situation (using Delgado's story as a backdrop).

As stated in the first paragraph, the chaotic and irregular trait also has negative points. The book shifts a lot of focus, and in many moments, you have a hard time getting a general overview of the plot. You're not sure if what the characters are telling you is the truth or a limited interpretation of a fact. This may be of value in understanding the characters' individualities, but when it connects with the James Delgado story, everything gets complicated. I had to read the book twice to understand the story better, and I'm not convinced that other people would have the same patience.

For being a hard-to-read and chaotic book, I had to deduct one star from the final score. It's not that I didn't like the book, far from it, but this seems to be the typical case of a great idea that wasn't so well executed. What the author tried to do is something that requires insane writing skills. I've seen renowned authors miserably failing when they tried to write books like this one. Therefore, I rate No Remedio three out of four stars.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a chaotic multi-character book set in today's USA. In any case, this book contains an excessive amount of swear words. There's also heavy sexual content, and that's why I can't recommend this work for anyone under 18 years old. I found only two minor grammatical errors. In this aspect, the book is professionally edited.

No Remedio
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

I'm not sure what to expect of this book, it being so chaotic. But it definitely has piqued my interest. Wonderful review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I find the book relatable to our present society. It is good that our problems be solved. The book is a good one. Thanks for your review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Life has its good and unpleasant sides. I would love to read this book. This is a great review.
nazakat malik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nazakat malik »

I like the title and cover of this book. They are intriguing and make me want to learn what the book is about. I would have picked this book up based on the cover alone. good book :techie-studyingbrown:
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Quite relatable book๐Ÿ“•
Great review๐Ÿ€
:tiphat:
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I FAIRLy enjoy book that discuss real problems than one that creat illusions of perfect life, interesting book, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

It doesn't seem like my kind of book. I particularly hate it when the book doesn't follow a clear, well-established order.

Return to โ€œOther Fiction Forumโ€