Review of The Final Act

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of The Final Act

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Final Act" by Bruno Amato.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Final Act by Bruno Amato is the heartwarming story of friendship between Danny Vitello, a top Hollywood actor and former Iraq veteran who has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome (PTSD), and a young boy named Sam battling cancer. Sam's father died in Iraq, and his mother, Maria, is the local district attorney (DA).

Danny Vitello had destroyed his career after surprising his wife, Angie, and her co-star, Brett, in her dressing room in a compromising situation, and Danny attacked Brett. Maria, Sam's mother, was the DA when Danny had to face charges for the attack. She recommended Danny get 200 hours of supervised community service instead of jail time. Danny met Sam while doing his community service in the pediatric unit of Cedars Sinai Hospital, where Sam was a patient. Danny was to direct the annual Christmas play for the children. During this time, Danny was also trying to revive his career in acting. The bond between Danny and Sam grew swiftly, and an attraction was building between Maria and Danny. When Danny inadvertently breaks a promise to Sam, both Sam and Maria refuse to see him. Can Danny and Sam mend their relationship? Is Maria still attracted to Danny, and will she forgive him? Does Danny get his acting career back? Does Sam win his battle with cancer? Those are questions I will leave for the reader to answer.

Bruno Amato wrote an emotional account of an actor struggling to conquer his PTSD and turn his life around and a young boy fighting for his life against cancer. Amato was adept at expressing the characters' emotions, so the reader feels like they are actually in Sam's hospital room and the courtroom as Danny awaits his fate. The reader can sense the terror Danny feels when he has flashbacks of his tour in Iraq and Sam's fear when he hears he will have to have another surgery.

The relationship between Danny and Sam is the essence of the story. What I liked most was Sam's determination. His favorite saying came from one of Danny's movies, and Sam recited it before every procedure he had to face. It is, "giving up is not an option." That one small quote gave a little boy the strength to fight the biggest battle of his life and a grown man the ability to believe in himself again. Another favorite part for me was how the book ends. Amato wrote the perfect ending to the story, and it will leave the reader with belief in the saying "giving up is not an option."

There isn't anything I disliked about this book, and I found very few errors which led me to believe the book had professional editing. For the lessons of unconditional love, determination, and friendship portrayed in this book and the professional editing, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to those who enjoy remarkable stories of love, friendship, determination, and faith in oneself. There is very little profanity, but a couple of intimate scenes are graphic and would not be suitable for anyone under eighteen. The flashback scenes of war may also disturb younger readers.

The Final Act
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love reading love stories, I hope Sam and Maria forgives Danny, I would really love to read more about this book, beautiful review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Mending a broken friendship is necessary but not an easy thing. Friends will always come around but there is a friend you can never replace. Great review!
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Gabriella1997 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 14:41 I love reading love stories, I hope Sam and Maria forgives Danny, I would really love to read more about this book, beautiful review.
Thank you so much! I hope you get to read it.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nazzy_ wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 17:40 Mending a broken friendship is necessary but not an easy thing. Friends will always come around but there is a friend you can never replace. Great review!
Thank you! And you are so right about the friend we can never erase!
B. Creech
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

I'm rooting for Sam to win his cancer struggle, and I'm hoping the characters' friendship can be repaired. Forgiveness is everything, especially when it comes to the people we care about. I enjoyed reading the review, and I plan to add this book to my collection. Great review
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Great review🍀
Issue ofPTSD has been addressed, that's a good thing
:tiphat:
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ntombifuthi Londi wrote: 28 Sep 2021, 15:42 I'm rooting for Sam to win his cancer struggle, and I'm hoping the characters' friendship can be repaired. Forgiveness is everything, especially when it comes to the people we care about. I enjoyed reading the review, and I plan to add this book to my collection. Great review
I think you will enjoy the book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

:no-spoil:
Humera955 wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 01:33 Great review🍀
Issue ofPTSD has been addressed, that's a good thing
Yes, I was glad PTSD was addressed! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Danny and Sam seem so vivid characters! Just reading this I am fond of them: thank you for the great review :)
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book is an interesting one and it's emotional. I would love to read. Good review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

sounds like a heartwarming story of friendship, love and illness, love it, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

marba wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 08:02 Danny and Sam seem so vivid characters! Just reading this I am fond of them: thank you for the great review :)
They are interesting characters! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Luchris_michael wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 12:14 The book is an interesting one and it's emotional. I would love to read. Good review.
Thank you! It is a good read. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

AfraBrb wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 18:13 sounds like a heartwarming story of friendship, love and illness, love it, great review
Yes, that is exactly what it is! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”