Review of Book Endings - A Call Numbers novel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review of Book Endings - A Call Numbers novel

Post by Abacus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Book Endings - A Call Numbers novel" by Syntell Smith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Syntell Smith has written the second book in the Call Numbers series entitled Book Endings: Loss, Pain, and Revelations. The narrative takes place in New York and much of it in the New York 58th Street Branch Library. There are fourteen principal characters from the library staff, each with their own drama adding to the overall tapestry, and six supporting characters. All are fleshed out and authentic.

Part-time Library Clerk Robin Walker has to deal with the death of his granddaddy, who raised him for several years since the dysfunctional Walker family fell apart. Robin feels as though his granddaddy is the only person in the world to believe in him. Robin transfers to the 58th Street Branch not knowing that Branch Senior Manager Sonyai Yi had promised his position to Library Page Janelle Simms, unmarried and pregnant. Infighting and political intrigue are rife, especially between Head Librarian Augustus Chavez and Sonyai.

The author reveals complex relationships between the staff in the library and their families and writes about racism, sexual harassment, unwed mothers, friendship, betrayal, and loyalty. The well-developed characters embody the culture of New York in the 1990s. As a result, many cultural references will appeal to people in their teens and twenties at that time.

I applaud the author's ability to weave many mini-scenarios into the whole. For example, Library Page Tanya Brown borrows a book called The Joy of Sex for the youngest Library Page Lakeisha; their parents find out and arrange a meeting with the girls. We find one set of disapproving parents are Jehovah's Witnesses and have restrictive views on sex and sex education. And another example is when Information Assistant Angie Trueblood, formerly a supporter of Augustus Chavez, finds out he is counterfeiting documents to win the best library prize. She tells Sonyai, and they search his office for the evidence, but it has disappeared.

I liked that many small scenarios amongst the library staff become an integral part of the whole Book Endings fiction. For example, Tanya borrows a book called The Joy of Sex for Lakeshia, both their parents find out and call a meeting with the girls. We find that one set of disapproving parents are Jehovah's Witnesses and have restrictive views on sex and sex education. And another example is when Angie Trueblood, formerly a supporter of Augustus Chavez, discovers that he is making counterfeit documents to get the best library prize. She tells Sonyai, and they search his office for the evidence, but it has disappeared.

I enjoyed the character most of Robin Walker; he matures into a responsible, caring person but has episodes of youthful craziness, shaping his fascinating personality. Also adding charm are many references to popular music; when Robin and Lakeshia play the piano together, and later when Robin insists on his favorite music when out with friends.

I rate Book Endings 4 out of 4 stars because it is character-driven and authentic to the time period. It is produced professionally and includes a Character Index, a Library Terminology Glossary, and a Synopsis of the first Call Numbers book. I found no errors and believe the book to be professionally edited. I do not rate it 3 out of 4 stars because the thought-provoking scenarios are plausible. However, sexual innuendo, a detailed discussion of date rape, and crude language may be offensive to some.

I recommend Book Endings to people who enjoy stories about culture, human relationships, and family tensions in engaging settings. However, I do not recommend this book to young teenagers and acknowledge that the sex and language may also seem unwholesome and distasteful to some adults.

Book Endings - A Call Numbers novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Sounds like a good book. Would love to read. Nice review
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

It's good to read a book that's relatable to the society. I would love to read the book. Good review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love books that emphasizes on cultures, beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”