Review of Until I Met Jake

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Until I Met Jake

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Until I Met Jake" by Kimberly J Coleman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We've all had a dream about something so vivid that the next morning you begin to question your sleep. That's what Christina Moore is experiencing. After being involved in an accident and being taken to a hospital, Christina dreams about an 8-year-old boy, Jake. In it, she wakes up to an all-white surrounding with no doors, windows, ceilings, walls, or floors.

Christina tries to question Jake as to where they are and why they are there. The little boy, however, recalls his deceased mother and grandmother talking to him and that he will join them soon. That means Jake will die. Christina has to do all it takes to prevent his death from taking place. When she wakes up, her obsession with the boy is so massive that her siblings fear she might be losing it. Nevertheless, Christina knows it is more that just a dream. Jake might signify someone in real life who needs her help.

Until I Met Jake by Kimberly J Coleman has numerous things worth appreciating. One, the dialogue between Christina and Jake was enjoyable. The latter was too wise for his age. He challenged Christina in many ways. Over time, the two become simpatico. Though she admits she isn't maternal, it is different with Jake, as they get along well. The relationship between Christina and Jake made me reminisce about my childhood days with my mum. No matter how childish my questions seemed, mother always had answers for them.

The story is humorous and emotional. When Christina flashed back to her past life and the people she had lost, a feeling of sadness filled in me. Sometimes when you lose the person you care for most, life is never the same again, and it’s the case for her. One minute you're alive, and the next, you are gone forever. The tale taught me the importance of appreciating life.

Nonetheless, I didn't like it when the author flashed back without warning. One time I'm reading about Jake and Christina, and then the story shifts to focus on Michael, Charlie, or Eric. It was not a bad thing, only that I would have liked it when there was a page break to illustrate the narrative is about to center on another character. Nevertheless, I adapted as the tale advanced and was able to keep up with the flashbacks.

Kimberly ensured the book is professionally edited, as I only encountered a few grammatical errors. The story has a smooth flow, and the language employed is simple. The story was a page-turner! As a result, I rate the work 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who may have lost loved ones and are looking to be inspired.

Until I Met Jake
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Reading your review wanna makes me grab this book ASAP. The book seems a perfect blend of everything! Great review.
Leah Blackman Pitt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leah-blackman-pitt.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Leah Blackman Pitt »

Wow really enjoyed this excellent review, love how you were able to positively relate to the unique relationship between Christina and Jake with you and your mum. I will be looking to give this book a read!
Last edited by Leah Blackman Pitt on 25 Sep 2021, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This book sounds so captivating! I am adding it to my TBR pile right now. Thank you for your great review!
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This might be the next book I will pick, this seems interesting. Thanks for the review!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

This book interests me, the cover and the name would make anyone want to read more about this book, beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”