Review of Elgin Lost his Marbles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review of Elgin Lost his Marbles

Post by Eriny Youssef »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elgin Lost his Marbles" by Colin Robert Dodd.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The infamous 'Elgin Marbles' are named after Lord Elgin who first removed them from their home at the Parthenon in 1801. He kept them in his house at first, but later sold them and shipped them by sea to Britain when he needed the money. Back and forth, between Greece and Britain, we follow those precious marbles as they repeatedly face a new fate. Years after their removal, the marbles are now being negotiated over.

As implied by the book's title, the author took this event that marked history and developed a story about the long-awaited return of the sculptures. We follow three main storylines. The first one is about Shanks, Nicholson, and Elgin. It tells the past story of the removal of the marbles. The second one is about Astrid and Daphne. They work for the Netty Museum, and they're trying to make copies of those marbles. Finally, we follow the story of the man who is working to get those marbles back. Professor Spridon Aristotelidis has been working all his life to see that day: the day the marbles return home to Greece. Can the dream finally be realized?

What I loved the most were the jumps between the past and the present. These changes in the time and setting of the narrative were accompanied by corresponding speech styles that reflected distinctive atmospheres. This alternation renewed the reading process and kept an engaging pace. The author successfully diversified the characters' nuances to help the readers recognize the storyline they're about to read about.

I didn't appreciate the fact that there were too many unnecessary details. This was sometimes particularly disengaging when the details were included during the unraveling of important events. It was clear in the chapters where Astrid and Daphne were in Europe. While I get that the author wanted to disclose valuable information about Europe's most beautiful artworks, some of them seemed forced. They took up space and weren't relevant to the plot.

I give Elgin Lost his Marbles by Colin Robert Dodd 3 out of 4 stars. The rating is based on the previously mentioned points. The editing of the text didn't affect the reading process either negatively or positively. I found errors, but they weren't ones to compromise the text's clarity.

This book should appeal to readers who enjoy the history and art of the ancient Greeks. Lovers of sculpture, in particular, will enjoy this read immensely. The author shows a great deal of knowledge about the topic handled. With a good cup of coffee and the right music, this read can teleport you to another time and place where art is deeply appreciated.

Elgin Lost his Marbles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Sounds like a fascinating read. Where will the Elgin Marbles go to next? Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Poojitha Borra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poojitha-borra.html

Post by Poojitha Borra »

Having read your review, I quite like the idea of having different writing styles for past and present. I found the plot to be simple yet clever. I will definitely give it a try. Great work on the review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I understand how a writer who knows very well the artistic field might be tempted to include a lot of details in his book. I really hope Elgin marbles will return eventually home, in the next years. Thank you for the review!
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

Oh, how can a plot be centered on a piece of artwork and history? It must be an amazing story to tell about the past and the present. I will give this a try and hope that it is engaging as your review. Thank you so much!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am also overwhelmed by too many details. Some set the stage, but I don’t like too many. Thanks for the review.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Niens Now wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 01:43 Sounds like a fascinating read. Where will the Elgin Marbles go to next? Thanks for a lovely review.
Thank you for reading it😊
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Poojitha Borra wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 02:04 Having read your review, I quite like the idea of having different writing styles for past and present. I found the plot to be simple yet clever. I will definitely give it a try. Great work on the review.
Your words are on point. It's definitely simple yet clever.
And thank you!
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

marba wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 12:47 I understand how a writer who knows very well the artistic field might be tempted to include a lot of details in his book. I really hope Elgin marbles will return eventually home, in the next years. Thank you for the review!
I hope they return home too! It's about time.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 17:35 Oh, how can a plot be centered on a piece of artwork and history? It must be an amazing story to tell about the past and the present. I will give this a try and hope that it is engaging as your review. Thank you so much!
Oh, thank you! I'm grateful for you taking the time to read the review and leave a comment 😊
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Amy Luman wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 13:02 I am also overwhelmed by too many details. Some set the stage, but I don’t like too many. Thanks for the review.
Yes, they can very distracting at times.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”