Review of Memoirs of a Bread Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Review of Memoirs of a Bread Man

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memoirs of a Bread Man" by Justin John Scheck.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Memoirs of a Bread Man by Justin John Scheck is the story of a young man who was struggling with the beginnings of a mental illness. Adams was twenty-five years old. He worked as a bread delivery man in Madison, Wisconsin. His boss was an ex-Master Gunnery Marine Drill Sergeant named Frankie. Frankie reminded Adams of his veteran father. Adams looked out for Frankie and tried to help him keep his job since he knew the job was all the veteran had. This story is also about his relationship with his father. His father had PTSD and was a difficult man. Adams struggled with panic attacks and was traumatized by the violent actions of his relatives when he was young. Adams received bad news from his father on Christmas Eve. Will he be able to fight his worsening depression and insomnia?

I like that this story shows the progression of a decline in mental health. It points out how Adams did not realize he was even having trouble. He slowly began to care less and less about everything. This book may be able to help people who are in a similar situation. This book also points out how a parent’s troubled mind can have a big impact on their children’s lives. Adams is loyal to his father and his boss, even though they both give him a hard time often. He has a hard time talking about his mother without getting emotional. The author's small details about Adams's work shortcuts, which brands of bread were the most popular, and his aversion to cake bring this story to life.

There is nothing that I disliked about this book. The story is filled with sad memories, but it is about a difficult time in the main character’s life, so it is to be expected. The way the book jumps back to Adams’ childhood memories helps to explain his behavior as an adult.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I found only one small editing error, so this book was clearly professionally edited. This story reminds us that we don’t always know what a person has been through, and we should have compassion for others.

I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys reading memoirs. This book would also be enjoyable for readers who like books about mental illness. The author does not go into detail about the types of mental illness, rather he shows how someone can be suffering without even realizing it.

Memoirs of a Bread Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book signifies the struggle of a strong, young man but yet mentally ill. I hope he finds his healing. What a story to read!
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This is really interesting because the plot circles around mental illnesses, I just hope that it is beautifully and honestly written. Thank you so much for your review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love how Adams tries to help Frankie keep his job. Adams if familiar with what’s happening. Thanks for the review!
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Nice book and a nice review too. Thank you.
Jennifer Garcia 555

Nazzy_ wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 18:49 This book signifies the struggle of a strong, young man but yet mentally ill. I hope he finds his healing. What a story to read!
This is an excellent description of this story!
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Jennifer Garcia 555

Amy Luman wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:47 I love how Adams tries to help Frankie keep his job. Adams if familiar with what’s happening. Thanks for the review!
Adams loyalty is touching. He is truly a good person.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”