Review of Rose of the Flats

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Rose of the Flats

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rose of the Flats" by Dario Addario.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rose of the Flats by Dario Addario is a fiction novel. This 646-page book is divided into four parts. It contains the themes of religion, love, war, prejudice, and family.

Dante Valentino is a Korean war veteran. He had defiantly married his sweetheart, Rose, just before he was drafted. They lived in Cascade Flats, a town not far from Berlin. He started writing this manuscript and had been unable to finish it when he was left incapacitated by an accident. His brother, Tony, had taken over the task of completing his manuscript. Tony tells the story of his involvement with Jessica, a prostitute he had met in Louisiana. He also writes about his dream woman, Minnie Birch. She was his English teacher while he was in his senior year in school. She was his perfect American. However, now stuck in the care of his little brother with Rose, feelings he had for her, though buried a long time ago, begin to surface again. Can Tony overcome his prejudice and embrace nature's gift of love?

The writing style and language structure were simple. It contains many subplots well merged in the main plot. It speaks of the racial and religious prejudice prevalent in New Hampshire in the 1900s.

My favorite character was Rose. I love her strength and passion. Her commitment to Dante despite the extent of his needs was intriguing. The book is an eye-opener and makes me appreciate soldiers and their sacrifices. I also like the fact that beyond the stories, the author addressed segregation and racial issues. His perspectives were unique and interesting. My favorite part of the book was when Nick (Rose's brother) and Tony tried to disguise themselves to the two prostitutes they met in Louisiana. It was pretty funny to see Tony struggle to maintain the façade after. I also like the poem Tony wrote to Minnie. It sounded absurd initially, only to read it backward and have it made perfect sense.

However, I discovered the book was repetitive at some times. Many of the stories were repeated, and I felt some parts could have been left out. For example, the play presented by Dante's students did nothing to enhance the whole story. Also, the time frames were not well referenced. I got confused as to the time when some events happened. Therefore, I rate Rose of the Flats 3 out of 4 stars.

The book was well edited, as I found a few errors that didn't hinder my reading experience. I recommend the book to lovers of stories centered on segregation. It will also be a fascinating read for people who enjoy love stories. The book will make you question some of your beliefs.

Rose of the Flats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

While I don't really like reading about wars, I might just read this book based on the love and family themes it covers. Awesome review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

A detailed and insightful review. Good job!
Mimidee Vanilly
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimidee-vanilly.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Mimidee Vanilly »

Although i don't really into in love story book, but this review is motivate me to read this genre. You have delivered the review very well.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

While reading the review, I couldn't stop myself from laughing. The novel appears to be intriguing, with a dash of humour thrown in for good measure. Recently, my favorite genre has been love stories. Excellent review
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I don’t enjoy war stories but I may read this book because of the love story involved,nice review.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I'm not a fan of war books but I love the mixture of themes in this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Am not a fan of war stories, but the romance inclusive would trigger me to read more about this book, beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”