Review of Saved By The Well

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Saved By The Well

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Saved By The Well" by Ivy Hove.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Saved by the Well is a short story written by Ivy Hove. Set in Rhodesia and although embellished, the story, on the whole, is true. Teenagers and adults who enjoy learning about different cultures and history will like this meaningful true story.

Emily is the firstborn child in a family of three boys and two girls. The family live in a rural village called Manicaland, in Rhodesia. Here, the villagers live off the land and are mostly peasant farmers, cultivating vegetable, maize, millet, ground-nut, and rapoko crops. In the time of Emily’s adolescence, the 1940s and 1950s, missionaries travelled across the country to convert villagers to Christianity and encouraged them to renounce ancestral gods and dark-related practices. Unfortunately, villagers were not as quick to let go of the traditions imposed on women.

Emily, a bright and tenacious teenager, aspired to more than the traditional role of a woman. She desired to be educated and to spend her life doing something to make a difference. Whilst spending time in a hospital, Emily had a revelation. She uses all her resources and tenacity to study hard around her chores to attend a boarding school for higher education. Once at school, she has to tackle hurdles that being a newcomer to the school brings. Emily must use her resilience, bravery, and determination to achieve her goals and stand up against the barriers her gender has caused her.

The introduction to the book is an insightful addition. The author gives a lot of information about bullying and problems in schools in Rhodesia in the 1940s and 1950s. It is an eye-opening historical education into a different culture. The fact that the story is an embellished true story adds to this insight, and as a reader, you feel like you have gained knowledge about the subject. I found a part of the book about witch doctors fascinating and how dangerous they could be when treating illnesses. The author explains how far things have come for women and how much effort that took to chip away at the traditions and customs that have oppressed females. There is also descriptions of taunting and bullying in schools and how this situation is improving.

The story is short and serves to pass on details of history. Because of this, the characters are not well developed, and conversations are minimal. The book sits somewhere between a historical account and an entertaining story. The book will appeal to readers who enjoy learning about different cultures and historical events rather than literary fiction.

The book is exceptionally edited, as I didn’t find any spelling or grammar mistakes. I enjoyed learning about Rhodesia, its traditions, and how things have changed over time. I wasn’t particularly captivated by the story as there were few characters with much depth. With all things considered, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The author has written a unique book and shared a story that otherwise could have been undiscovered.

Saved By The Well
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

It is good to know that the author made the book simple for comprehension. Thanks for your review.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

This is an excellent review. The book appears to include a lot of cultural and traditional teachings. Although historical fiction is not my favorite genre, I will add this book to my reading list since I am intrigued by missionaries who traveled across the country to convert people to Christianity and persuade them to abandon ancient gods and dark traditions. I'm curious as to what such nefarious practices are.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

The book centered on family and history which made it more fascinating to read. I love the review.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Great review🍀
Issues mentioned in the book are needed to be raised, seems like a perfect read📖
:tiphat:
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

people ho don't wznt to let go of their culture and roots are admirable and people who want more in life than just live simply are formidable, interesting book, great revoeiew
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

Emily is a strong and brave character. I hope she achieves her dreams and aspirations. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”