Review of She's the sweetest taste of almonds.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Review of She's the sweetest taste of almonds.

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "She's the sweetest taste of almonds." by Cherise Pyle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The relationship of Chad and Gidget proves that opposites do attract. Gidget is a successful, independent woman, while Chad is a laid-back person who still lives in his parents' house. The differences in their status were not a hindrance to the growth of their love for each other. Although this may be true, other obstacles are waiting for the right time to test their love and commitment. Chad's father won't stop admonishing him for dating a black woman. On the other hand, Gidget's friend won't stop saying she shouldn't date a white man who barely earns money. Will love be enough to overcome these hurdles?

She's the sweetest taste of almonds, by Cherise Pyle, tries to portray a relationship between two people who are nothing alike. Aside from that, the issue of racism was also heavily tackled. While I appreciate the premise of the story, the manner in which it was written was lacking in style. The book contains a lot of errors both in its narrative and the dialogue of the characters.

What I liked the most about this book were the moments when Gidget and Chad were together. I think they are their best selves when they are around each other, and reading about two people this in love was very enjoyable for me. These moments were especially precious because of the toxic people around both of them. Additionally, I liked Chad's personality. He only has eyes for Gidget, and he never fails to step up to his father in defense of her.

However, what I liked the least about this book was Gidget herself. To be perfectly honest, I have mixed feelings about her. Although she has admirable qualities, the rest of her personality was not to my liking. She was close-minded, insensitive, and often rude. Moreover, her relationship with her friends made me question the meaning of friendship. They would fight over nothing and make up the next moment.

I would recommend this book to readers who are looking to read about a journey of love. They would enjoy reading how Chad and Gidget deal with their toxic environment to save their relationship. On the other hand, readers who are looking for a more positive vibe in their book might want to pass on this one; The toxicity of the characters would likely affect their reading experience. I enjoyed reading Chad and Gidget's story. However, due to how it was written and the many errors I have encountered, I would give this book only 3 out of 4 stars.

She's the sweetest taste of almonds.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I think as a lover of romance fiction I would definitely enjoy reading this. It seems that Gidget was a peculiar character, I can't wait. Also, the author could work on the errors. Thank you for you amazing review!
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

Love between two opposite characters especially where these characters are of different races. I hear people say that we should marry people who have characters which are different from ours, I would love to know how the characters in this book manage to work on their love despite their differences. Thanks for the review!
Jane4545
Favorite Book: She's the sweetest taste of almonds.
Currently Reading: Asian Vegetarian Cooking
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jane4545 »

Reading this book for second time and I freaking love it. The humor, the romance and the drama!!! I must agree with the lady Ppl around the characters are pretty toxic but that makes the story more real to me. This book is realistic and I hope it comes out with a part two!!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think I’ll read this. Even though I’m interested in how this relationship progresses despite opposition, I don’t think that I’d be happy with Gidget’s attitude.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Love is never easy, but when other factors such as money and race come into play, it can become quite challenging. Thank you for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I hope the author should've done some character development for Gidget in the later half of the book or else it'll be difficult for me to complete the book. I'll probably make-up my mind for this one as its been so long since i read a good romantic fiction. Good review!
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The premise of the story is a good one. Love is not easy within the spheres of racism. Good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”