Review of Sena's Black Ross

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Review of Sena's Black Ross

Post by Eddy E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sena's Black Ross" by Linda k jones.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sena’s Black Rose: A Different kind of Love Story is a book that takes us on an emotional journey of the lives of two sisters and their mother, seen through the eyes of Rose Sinclair, the older of the sisters. Rose has grown up all her life being treated differently from Sena. As they both grow, the differences become more glaring, and Rose is determined to find out why Mama had always treated her differently. The more Rose gets closer to finding out the truth, she uncovers secrets that leave her with resentment towards her mother for raising her on a foundation of lies.

The author, L.K Jones, has done such a great job in making the characters very relatable. While reading the book, I could feel the joy, happiness, and pain each character felt, especially Rose. The author was able to capture in words, in such an effortless manner, the emotions, thoughts, and actions of each person. One character that I feel readers can easily resonate with is Rose because the story is written from her point of view, so we get a look into what is going on in her head.

Another aspect I liked about the book was the fast-paced nature of the book; the author did not waste time unnecessarily with lengthy descriptions of objects or events. I also liked the fact that Roses’ mother and sister were referred to as “Mama” and “Sister.” At first, it felt a little odd, but as I read deeper, I felt it conveyed deeper meanings to each character.
I commend the writing style the author adopted; she used plain and simple English that could easily be understood. L.K Jones also used a mix of the different types of narrative techniques appropriately.

The author also used dialogue. I think it was very innovative of the author to add a southern drawl to their grandma’s accent. There was nothing I disliked about the book. The book creates awareness and interest to study more on the heavy themes of racism, sexual abuse, and mental health. It brings to light these prevalent issues and how they affect individual’s lives. I can’t say the book ended the way I would have loved, but I believe that is subjective.

There were a few words that were not spelled properly, so I don’t think the book was professionally edited, but that did not take away the fact that the book was enjoyable. I rate the book a 3 out of 4. I wouldn’t recommend Sena’s Black Rose: A Different kind of Love Story to sensitive readers because of some use of profane language and sexual abuse. I do recommend this book to

Sena's Black Ross
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I appreciate details and world-building when it is done well. However, I dislike it when authors waste time describing scenery and details that add nothing to the story. It's good to know this author refrains from doing this. I wonder what secret Rose discovered and how she will deal with learning the truth. Thanks for your insights on this intriguing story!
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book will give out a true reality of how some of us are living in the atmosphere of lies.
I believe Rose venturing into finding the truth about their mother's attitude towards her, will expose her to more secrets she might not be able to accept. A very good book to read.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The relationship between siblings, sisters especially, is very complicated. There are always differences of opinions between them and with their parents.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I feel like this would be a relatable story for me because I have siblings who I often fought with. I am also very happy to hear that this book not only tackled not only family drama but also problems that are prevalent in the modern times. Thank you for your great review!
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Unequal treatment from parents can emotionally bring down a child. Sounds like a book I’ll enjoy on a Friday evening 😊. Thanks for the review.
Vivian Writes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-writes.html
Latest Review: Trusting People by Guy De Furia Ph D

Post by Vivian Writes »

It’s heartbreaking to be raised differently from your siblings. I wonder what Rose will uncover. I guess I’ll have to read the book to find out. But did anyone else notice the clever play on words the author did with the title?

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”