Review of A Girl Named Dara

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of A Girl Named Dara

Post by Kennedy NC »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Girl Named Dara" by Tom Flynn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every one of us, at some point in our lives, has been captivated by someone who we think is the most amazing person on earth and we find ourselves falling deeply in love with them. However, as it is normal in life, the course of love doesn't always run smoothly.

A story of art, poetry, music, friendship and ultimately, love, 20-year-old Jeff recounts how he and beautiful Dara cross paths after they meet in Poetry class. Dara takes a special place in his heart within a short period and as he barely has control over his new situation, he sails through life strongly influenced by his heart yearnings. It is a bittersweet process and Jeff finds himself engulfed in the mystery hovering around this exceptionally beautiful lady whom he yearns for, and there comes Carey who is an amazing, simple and beautiful soul who has a soft spot for Jeff. What does this roller coaster of emotions have in store for Jeff? What is it about Dara and Carey that will compel Jeff to make a bold decision for himself? We can only find out by going through life with Jeff while reading this book.

Tom Flynn's book, A Girl Named Dara, has many positive aspects. The most conspicuous and commendable aspect is the author's good use of punctuations, expressions, paragraphing, and a lack of excessive high-sounding words, which makes the book easy and relaxing to read. In the same vein, the author has powerful descriptive skills that easily conjure vivid mental pictures of the situations being described and which the readers can relate to real-life situations.

Also, the writer flaunts his effortless and versatile knowledge of art, poetry and music through the inclinations of individual characters in the story, making the book interestingly informative. His multilingual prowess is also noticeable in his infusion of expressions in Russia and French. The inclusion of characters from different nationalities gives off an interesting guess on the readers' part about the nationality of the chief protagonist and in what part of the world he tells his story from until they eventually get to know later in the story, though not at too late a time.

However, though the book is laced with a lot of positive aspects, it is not without a few negative points. I feel the writer's approach to suspense is not powerful enough at the beginning of the story, which has a lot to do with plot building. I almost got bored while reading as the storyline initially appeared flat, without dynamism and mundane. An average reader might easily get bored and skip pages because he or she wants to know if there are more interesting turns to the story. An impatient reader might sadly quit reading without getting to have the revelation that going forward, it is a great story because of its semblance to reality.

Generally, I will give Tom Flynn's book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because it was professionally edited and is refreshing to read till the end, regardless of the negative aspects. It did not receive a perfect rating because of its weak plot building at the beginning of the story. Finally, I recommend this book to young people who are still in the process of understanding their emotions and would like to learn that it is a phase we must all go through. Also, this book is recommended to art and poetry lovers.

A Girl Named Dara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think that I’d be able to get into this book. It’s hard for me to engage with books that have any type of romance and if this is as slow to start as you say I’ll never make it.
the_ashfeathers
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ashfeathers.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by the_ashfeathers »

Though it feels like the book plays with some beautiful words, mundane romance is not really my thing. I'll pass on this one.
"Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck." ~ Will Herondale (Cassandra Clare)
Crescent Gold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Crescent Gold »

Though i feel like this book will be goo like you have said, but with the fact that it is slow, i won't like it.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

I fell in love with this review!
This sounds like a wonderful book but the thought of it being flat and powerless suspense makes me hesitant to pick it up. I'm still going to give it a chance.
“Just keep swimming.”
Mariaestrella123
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mariaestrella123 »

Love and romance in the artwork scene or meeting two individuals during work or exhibit is a typical kind of story and they are at the process of getting to know each other but the story also says that there's another girl involved here and he also get interested with the new girl so i find it exciting at the end who he might chose the best its either dara or carey.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

This book seems fun and after reading the review, I'm quite convinced that it'll much more than that. I'm very much into art and poetry, so I'm adding it in my list. Thanks for such a nice review!^^
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I don't really read this kind of book but then I love it's realistic nature. Good review.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Jeff and dara sounds like a great teenage couple
Great reveiw🤓🍀
:tiphat:
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Love is a beautiful thing, but it often doesn't end well. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”