Review of One Generation to the Next

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Review of One Generation to the Next

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Generation to the Next" by Ian Greenham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One Generation to the Next comprises four novellas written by Ian Greenham, adapted from original feature-length screenplays. In the first story (My Son, Your Daughter), Tess Ellis and Gabe Berriman, who have been dating for three years, discover that there might be a grave impediment to their marriage, but no spoilers are allowed! In the second novella (Warnings on the Water), nine-year-old Letitia Toner and her seven-year-old brother Charlie are rowing a raft. Letitia punctures the raft with a pocketknife and ends up drowning in the pond. Her body never gets found, though, and a great mystery with supernatural elements unfolds.

In the third narrative (I Didn't Ask You to Love Her), Lauren, the protagonist, gets involved in a love triangle. In the fourth and last story (Like Father Like Daughter), Carol Venton is an attorney who finds out that her colleague and partner, Jerry, who is also the father of her daughter Olivia, has a shady occupation.

I enjoyed reading this action-packed book very much, and it had several positives worth mentioning. Firstly, the characters' personalities were well-developed and nuanced. For example, I thought that Lauren, a lesbian forensic accountant, was a markedly fascinating character. I especially enjoyed the third novella, in which she is the protagonist. Additionally, the plotlines were gripping and gave me the feeling that I was a detective trying to solve mysteries. One of the things I liked most about the book was how the author repeatedly presents imaginative plot twists. The first novella, for instance, is notably full of unexpected developments and turns, which I liked.

Above all, the creative and suspenseful manner in which the author tells each story hooked me. The book was a fun read, and I was positively impressed with the author's engaging writing style. This aspect was what I liked the most about the book. For instance, I found the supernatural features in the second novella particularly interesting, with an entertaining mystery surrounding the pond and its waters. Also, the author balances dialogue and narration well.

In closing, I have no negatives worth mentioning, and therefore, I'm glad to give this book the highest score – 4 out of 4 stars. It seemed professionally edited, and I found no errors in it. Greenham is a talented storyteller, and his prose is well-crafted. I believe that readers who enjoy well-woven and realistic drama with plot twists will enjoy this book. If you like mysterious stories, you should take a look at these novellas.

One Generation to the Next
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

The title got my attention, and Reading four stories in one book would be interesting. Great re review.
Bethany Nystrand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-nystrand.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Bethany Nystrand »

Very well done review! This sounds like a very diverse and complex group of stories. I’m not usually a short story person, however, the supernatural elements really intrigue me.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Though different, all these novellas have a similar characteristic- an intriguing storyline. I would love to read this one. Great job with the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”