Review of Stories From A Sideways Glance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Review of Stories From A Sideways Glance

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stories From A Sideways Glance" by Dennis Brown.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a lover of short stories with humor and moral lessons? If yes, then you've already got one. Stories from a Sideways Glance by Dennis Brown has lots of fascinating stories in its content.

The author compiled a collection of twenty-one captivating short stories. The first one is titled 'Flamboyant Eddy.' Readers will follow the protagonist on an underground search to get some information about Eddy and why he's so popular in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know where he lives but has something to say about him. Who could this man be? Another story is 'Crabapple Red,' which tells the story of a schoolboy nicknamed Crabapple Red. He was born with red patches on his skin that made people stare at him, despise him, and make a mockery of him. But the irony is that Crabapple Red was determined to succeed regardless. Why was this little boy unbothered? Another story, 'The boy at the Bridge,' is about another boy of about ten to twelve years old. For over twenty years, people have always seen the boy standing near a bridge waving at cars. The concern is that this boy never seemed to age and has looked the same for the past twenty years, which is mysterious. As a result, there is panic in the community. Who is this boy? Is he human or a ghost?

I like that the stories are concise, straightforward, and engaging. The author developed fast-paced and intriguing stories. I bet you wouldn't want to put this book down when you start reading it. I was captivated and hooked from the very first story to the last one. These stories kept me up until midnight due to the suspense and twists. Bravo, Mr. Brown.

The aspect I like most is that the author developed motivational and inspiring stories with underlying lessons. These lessons cut across the need to utilize your time well while on earth. One of the stories also promotes talents, as it distinguishes Able Blackstone from his mates. I also learned to help the needy and tolerate people. Furthermore, readers would also appreciate the author's writing style. He was direct in his stories and didn't bore me with ambiguous words, making this book suitable for all audiences. The narration and description of events are impeccable. I was so invested in the storyline, as Mr. Brown did well in creating vivid pictures of events in my mind, and I loved the experience.

The author made it difficult for me to choose a favorite story. Nevertheless, 'The House in the Back' cracked me up the most. Matt Nelson and his siblings saw Mrs. Fayette's house as a dead zone. Now, their mum sent Matt to that same house on an errand, and that was a terrific adventure and death sentence sort of for him. His naughty siblings bid him farewell while Matt said his last prayers. You'll be astonished to find out the outcome of this errand. Readers will easily relate to this story, and I'm sure it'll take you down the memory lane of some activities, tricks, and rumors we indulged in as children. And they are going to crack you up big time.

In conclusion, there was absolutely nothing to dislike about the book, and I happily rate it four out of four stars. The author developed relatable characters as well as unique and intriguing plots. The book is professionally edited and contains only one typo. It will suit teens and adults who enjoy short fiction stories with intriguing storylines and moral lessons.

Stories From A Sideways Glance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

On gloomy days when I am a bit down, I enjoy reading humorous short stories. Your review has convinced me to pick this one up. Awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I love stories that contain humuor. Seems like a book i will enjoy reading. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”