Review of Marissa's Secret

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of Marissa's Secret

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marissa's Secret" by Dr. Roger Michael Weis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marissa's Secret by Roger Weis blends two stories set in different times, with one story following the story of Jesus in detail and including a few fictional characters, like Joanna Marissa Magdalene, the love of Jesus' life. We follow their stories as they grow, and Jesus awakens to his purpose as the son of God and suffers persecution, betrayal, and then crucifixion. At the same time, a historical artifact with inscriptions made by Mary is hidden and passed down for generations.

The other story is set in the late 1960s and revolves around Christopher Matthews, a young man who had to put his dreams on hold as he was thrust into the Vietnam War to serve the U.S. His anxiety and depression follow him well after he completes his assignment, and he embarks on a self-discovery journey, leading him to find God and his purpose. The same artifact is discovered and triggers mysteries surrounding its origin, significance, and authenticity. In a bid to secure this artifact that may prove the existence of Jesus' time on Earth, crimes are committed, and Christopher is right in the thick of things.

Several aspects of the overall story are intriguing, especially with the author exploring the story of Jesus and trying to put a spin on certain parts of his story, from the details of his family dynamics and his baptism to his relationship with Marissa. In his search for his purpose, Christopher's story raises a few thought-provoking questions around religion, with questions around the fate of people of other religions and if they can make heaven piquing my interest the most. Nevertheless, the two parts of the story are just like oil and water; they do not gel. What starts as the combined story of Jesus and Christopher's coming of age quickly turns into a search for a historical artifact that proves the existence of Jesus on Earth. Exploring Jesus' full story just to get to the existence of a historical artifact that would be searched for in another story was not necessary. It felt like the main story started in the last few chapters of the book.

Told from the first-person perspective, alternating between all the characters in the story, we get chances to peek into the minds of these characters and understand their influences, but it was quite confusing when some characters started to narrate other characters' stories, especially when they weren't present when what they narrated occurred.

Also, the mystery aspect of the story was poorly executed, especially with information falling into Christopher and his team's laps very easily while he suddenly had access to old friends in high positions that were never mentioned previously.

Overall, I did not enjoy reading this book, even though I liked some aspects of it. The book is titled after Marissa, but her whole story could have been scrapped, and the book would have been a much better read since she didn't add much to the story. Focusing on properly delivering Christopher's story and development through serving in the army, dealing with the consequences, growing in faith, and being involved in the mystery of the artifact may have made for an entertaining read. I rate this book two out of four stars, with its exceptional editing and the thought-provoking questions raised preventing me from awarding the lowest rating. Readers who enjoy historical fiction novels may enjoy some parts of this book.

Marissa's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Wow. It sounds like this book has a lot going on. I will admit I’m not a fan of introducing a fictional love interest for Jesus. Thank you for your honest and thorough review. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

This book sounds great in the aspect of the different story timelines, even though the main theme of ficticiously portraying religion might not be for everyone. Thanks for the informed review.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

The idea of the story seems great! Maybe the execution of the idea wasn't done right. Thank you for your review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t like the aspect of Jesus having a girlfriend. That’s definitely not Biblical. However, this is fiction and the author is entitled. I don’t think that I’ll be reading it.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

The story seems interesting adding to the different elements it portrays. Thanks for the great review.
Priya_Singh
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-singh.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Priya_Singh »

The plot of the story seems good but it lacked execution. Also the fictional romance of Jesus, I guess it isn't for everybody.

Thank you for the great review ☺️
Ramra
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Ramra »

Great review,i love what you did with the timeline.I'm not a religious guy or a Jesus fan but I think this one would make an excellent read☺️
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Sounds like the start of a good story and maybe with some revisions could be a 4 star. I always enjoy reading your reviews, thanks.
-Amy
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Mixing two stories together is taking yet sheds more life. Although I don't support that mary was the love of Jesus' life. Good review though
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I have never heard of Jesus having a girlfriend before. The idea of combining two stories together was great though. However, I don't think I'll be reading this book. Thanks for the review.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Even only reading the first paragraph of your review, the storyline was all over the place. I think your idea for the novel would have made far more sense to focus on the character Christopher and his life and maybe occasionally jump into Jesus' life. The author also could have made it a 2 part series. I enjoyed reading your review. Have a lovely day.
HerreroRagde
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HerreroRagde »

Hi! Thanks for this review. It feels honest and is definitely very detailed. I believe the purpose of a good review is to state a summary and facts about the story, to share what the reviewer liked and what they didn't and, ultimately, to leave the door open for others to decide whether or not they would like to take a chance and read the book. You did all that. Kudos.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”