Review of The Waywards of Memorial Middle School

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of The Waywards of Memorial Middle School

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Waywards of Memorial Middle School" by Rebekah McKenney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Clara Haugen is wilting under life’s pressures and defeats. She feels the sting of her husband’s suicide, the ache of her daughter’s rejection, and she no longer feels passionate about her teaching job. After she passes away, her spirit lingers in the hallways of her old middle school, where she finds other spirits have also gathered and are frolicking among the living. The Waywards of Memorial Middle School by Rebekah McKenney focuses on the interactions of these spirits with the students, staff, and their families. As the students and staff go on with their daily activities, little do they know that unsettled spirits move among them. What ties these spirits to the school? Why are they there?

This fictional writing captures well the peculiar culture of teaching. The first signs of teacher burnout, anxiety-ridden nights before the first day, and the nostalgia of the last one are poignantly described here. The student dramas that overwhelm caring educators and infiltrate their dreams are also real and brought back many memories while I was reading. Another ring of familiarity came from the unfiltered comments from students and the description of the clueless one doing bus duty; there is one (or more) in every school! I found the antics and behavior of the middle schoolers to be very accurate.

The best part of the book was the way subplots connected to the themes. There were at least three well-developed subplots. Mental illness, as we know, has far-reaching tentacles that reach into every facet of life. Children, in their unique way, find a way to blame themselves for problems in the family. Another theme was regret. Seeing the consequences of one’s actions was powerful in this book. The feelings of anger, hurt, and indifference, with no recourse to correct them, gave me chills. I enjoyed the author’s voice in this read. I could feel the passion for writing, teaching, and students, that culminated in her inclusion of discussion questions at the end of the book. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars for the character development, description of the setting, and exploration of relevant and thought-provoking themes.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. It did feel a bit long-winded at first, but I soon realized that the background and thoughts of each character added depth to the overall story and complemented the powerful and unexpected ending. The copy I read is professionally edited, with attractive text and formatting. Throughout the story, there are songs that go with the moods of the characters, and these are all meticulously cited in the beginning.

This book will appeal to a wide audience, as it is both plot and character-driven. I specifically recommend this book to readers who enjoy stories about relationships or those looking for an emotional story about the obstacles many people face. This book is also suitable for younger readers, as there is limited profanity, relevant themes they would appreciate, and some humor. Any teacher will get a kick out of the day-to-day descriptions of life in the trenches. It should be noted that there are heartfelt and raw descriptions of depression, suicide, and the effect mental illness has on families and friends. Those triggered by this should not read this book. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this story and appreciated all the work that has gone into it.

The Waywards of Memorial Middle School
View: on Bookshelves
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Your description is not at all what I expected from reading the title. I suppose it could be an interesting book to read, though it does sound a bit heavy. Thank you for your wonderful review and I hope you have a lovely day.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”