Review of Tapestry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Tapestry

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tapestry" by S. G. Key.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

S. G. Key writes about love, friendship, nature, and life in this poetry collection. Key explores ideas like self-image in poems like 'Reflection.' In 'Sealed,' the reader is allowed to wonder whether love affects people negatively or not.

The first thing that readers would probably note is that most of the poems are short and, as a result, make for a quick read. The language of the poetry is simple, with lines that are direct yet seemingly unclear. However, taking a few moments to meditate on them helps the reader make of them what they want.

Key incorporates pictures by the side of each poem. These pictures are a depiction of the subject matter of the poem. What these pictures do is help the reader grab, at a glance, the central subject of the poem while adding a playful feel to them.

I couldn't help thinking the author has powerful themes but couldn't communicate them as powerfully. For instance, 'Ownership' passed across a message about the aloofness with which humans treat matters that are removed from them. Key did this by creating a contrast with the passionate way we fight for personal things. Ideas like that, if presented differently, could challenge readers to reconsider their approach to global issues.

The author did succeed in creating some rhymes and employing some literary devices in his work. In 'Motivational Speech,' the lines "As slay as a fox/ Think outside the box" and "Hope for a chance to talk/ But you will just walk" gave the poem a lyrical feel. The poet also employed other devices to present ideas. In 'Reason,' the poet used simile in the following lines: "A Lover without a fight/Is like a candle without Light/ or a sun that can't shine bright."

My most exciting piece is 'Waterfalls Meet,' where the poet suggests the existence of a mystical world with a mythical creature. It makes the reader wonder about this world and the beautiful creatures in it.

You might ask, what does the poet seek to achieve with this collection? Is it to inspire, motivate, entertain or spur the reader? The poet may have perhaps provided an answer in the book's title, Tapestry. This means that the collection is nothing but a compilation of the poet's sporadic thoughts and introspection.

This book will generally appeal to poetry lovers and younger amateur poets. Advanced poetry readers may not find it so appealing, as it may come off as too simple, unchallenging, and without depth.

I rate this book three out of four stars. Most poems come off too simple and may not spur readers to take some action despite some of the poems portraying solid themes. It's rare to find errors in poetry, as poets are allowed to explore unconventional writing styles. However, I found one error that didn't come off as stylistic.

Tapestry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

Loved how you included sentences from the book itself so I can look a bit deeper into its content. Amazing review!
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

Great review. This collection of poems sounds like something that young and budding poets would love to read.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

What a review. How you were able to articulate the poems in a collective way in the review was what fascinated me.
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

I'm currently thinking of accepting poetry book to see how I'm going feel with it. thanks for this review
Signature of Grace.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I'm not really a fan of poetry, but this one seems interesting. I might give it a try. Thanks for the meticulous review.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Hi, thank you for the wonderful review, it looks like a cool read. I write poetry in my free time, I find it therapeutic. Maybe the author wants to just share his feelings on paper or maybe he is writing for someone else. Those are just my guesses. Have a lovely day.
The fabulous
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-fabulous.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by The fabulous »

Poetries are not my thing though. Poetry lovers might find this interesting. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”