Review of Boxing God In

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Boxing God In

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boxing God In" by Richard Maurice Wehby.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boxing God In by Richard Maurice Wehby is a non-fiction book that intends to encourage critical thinking when reading the Bible or listening to teachings from religious leaders. The author uses the Authorized King James Version (AKJV) of the Bible as a benchmark to show how religion attempts to put God in a box by manipulating what the Bible actually says.

Richard Maurice Wehby, a Ph.D. holder in theological studies, advises that we should do our research and not take everything purported at face value. He adds that readers should put any doctrinal dogma aside while meditating on the Scriptures, consider the culture at that time, and seek guidance from the Holy Spirit in understanding the Bible. Was Adam the first man created? Who did Cain marry? Who is Jesus? If you wish to know the author's views concerning these questions and more, please read this thought-provoking book.

If you are a Christian or someone interested in the authenticity of the Bible, you may be aware that some reports in the Bible don't just add up. Hence, I like how this author provides many insights into why there are passages in the Bible that defy logic. I find his discussions eye-opening, and I must say that he sounds very convincing, even though I am sure some readers wouldn't agree with some of his teachings.

What I like most about this book is the author's use of the Bible to support his stance. His knowledge as a Ph.D. holder in theological studies is evident in his explanations. I especially like how he compares passages from different books in the Bible to drive home his points. For example, I like how the author uses the prophecy in the book of Amos to corroborate his discussions about Jesus as the Messiah.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the review questions at the end of each chapter. These questions helped me gauge my understanding of the discussions therein and prompted me to go back and find answers for some questions that I couldn't answer. I believe this aspect of the book would also help readers to improve their Bible knowledge. Readers would also learn to be more objective of the teachings they get from pulpiteers and avoid exploitation. Above all the messages in the book, I enjoyed the one about how most of us question the existence of God when our requests are slow in coming or not answered. Our worship of God should be about reverence and not because we want to make requests.

Nevertheless, Boxing God In isn't perfect. I didn't enjoy how the author raised some questions and left them unanswered. For example, he questioned how Lazarus, who was bound hand and foot with graveclothes, could have walked out of the grave when Jesus raised him from the dead. I expected the author to either fault the passage or give reasons why it may have been so. However, in that instance and a few others like it, he raises concerns without thrashing them, leaving readers to conclude for themselves. I think it's not enough to point out these issues because readers would be interested in the author's explicit opinion.

In conclusion, I am rating Boxing God In three out of four stars. I enjoyed the book and found it to be both insightful and eye-opening. The book is also professionally edited and contains only a few minor errors. However, I couldn't give it a perfect rating due to the issue I mentioned above. Regardless, I still highly recommend it to open-minded readers interested in knowing what the Bible actually records and how religion has attempted to box God in by manipulating things in the Scriptures.

Boxing God In
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The interdependence of religion and critical thinking is important to grow through life. The review is critical to know the know-how of the book. Thanks for review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The author is very bold to encourage critical thinking regarding religious teachings. It seems like another book that try to come up with a different approach of the Bible, and I find that very important. Thank you for this amazing review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it is good that the author applies a fresh approach to well-known topics. Thanks for the unbiased review.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

Being an agnostic that I am, I totally support the author's opinion on how to read the Bible. I would read this book but I doubt that the author would be able to change my beliefs. I agree with the reviewer that a lot of things in the Bible doesn't add up. However, if just a statement is untrue, how can we tell which is and which isn't true.
sandeepverma7132
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sandeepverma7132 »

This book is the best book for to change our beliefs to our religion๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I don't really read books with a spiritual context. However, you did a great review, well detailed and astounding one. Great job!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

What an interesting book. I don't read religious books but I found your review to be quite intriguing. Thinking critically about religion occurs on a day-to-day basis and I have had many discussions regarding it. Maybe this would be something for me?
โ€œMemories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.โ€โ€• Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

I have some point in my life questioned the same passages in the bible on their logic. I'm interested to find the authors thoughts and opinion. Thanks for sharing this fascinating review.

Return to โ€œOther Fiction Forumโ€