Review of My Little China Girl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of My Little China Girl

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Little China Girl" by Gordon MacRaa.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Little China Girl by Gordon MacRae is the story of Thomas, who has a drinking problem. Working in international development in Vietnam, he seems to enjoy living there, and the women are a sight to behold for him. Soon he is let go, and his drunkenness problem doesn’t seem to be getting any better. After being dismissed from Vietnam, he decides to roam through the Asian countries. Even with life hurdles, Thomas isn’t one to turn down any chance of bacchanals. While doing so, Thomas’ quest for true love is unquestionable.

When I first got my hands on this book, I wondered what a blottoblogography was, so I searched on the internet. Surprisingly, this book popped up as the response. I figured the term was just a mashup of words 'invented' by the author. The work is authored in an informal style. When I devoured the book, I wondered what to draft about it. For one, there are many errors that I think the author left deliberately. Given that Thomas is a drunk, sentence fragments and run-on sentences during dialogues were inevitable. But hey! That’s what the author adopted, so we go by it.

The elucidations of the seductive bar women and lustful men were worth noting. The author does an exceptional job of describing the Asian cities included and their party life. Thomas’ determination to get true love was touching. He was determined to do anything, even if it meant reducing his alcohol intake. Then the ending of the book was liberating. Those are the things I appreciated about the work.

I despised several aspects. There is an unusual capitalization in this work, and the author seemingly did it on purpose. I encountered complex words along the way which I had to seek their meanings. I wished Gordon had employed simple terms as the continuous exercise of looking up for word definition derailed me from focusing on the tale. There are instances of repetitions of words in sentences which only makes the book segments redundant.

There are vulgar words on each page of the book. Instances of nightclubs, sex work, and other erotic scenes do not go unmentioned. Therefore, readers below the age of 18 years would be unsuitable for this tale. I found Thomas’ encounters in the bars and nightclubs enjoyable. With the errors I discovered, I feel the book should go through professional editing. Therefore, 2 out of 4 stars will be a fair rating. I recommend it to autobiography lovers.

My Little China Girl
View: on Bookshelves
VictoriousReader
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriousreader.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VictoriousReader »

Having to look up words for definition certainly takes away from the fun of reading a book. It's a pity the book had so many errors.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

It sounds like it has a solid storyline but too much errors is definitely a turnoff. Thanks for the review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”