Review of Randy the Irresistible

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Komal Soni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-komal-soni.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review of Randy the Irresistible

Post by Komal Soni »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy the Irresistible" by S M Goodier.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy the Irresistible by S.M. Goodier follows the ups and downs in the life of Randy Love, an irresponsible young man with almost no morals or compunctions. The result of an unexpected and difficult pregnancy, Randy is the youngest of John and Marjorie Love’s three children. When he was a child, Randy’s boundless energy was exhausting for his always-tired, almost fifty, mother. As a grown-up, Randy’s lack of ambition, drive, and common sense is a worry for his father. More so, since his older siblings are high achievers and extremely successful at their chosen careers.

We first meet Randy when he’s at the threshold of adulthood and living with his father in rural England. After finishing three of his four years at college for a business degree, he’s restless and itching to make some quick money. And so begin his adventures – or misadventures – as he tumbles in and out of part-time jobs, rolls in and out of assorted women’s beds, moves to London, and tries to negotiate life on his own, selfish terms.

For someone with the last name Love, Randy’s not a particularly lovable character – even though the author would have us believe so, calling him ‘charming’ more often than once. He lies easily. He’s always trying to rip people off. He is unscrupulous and treats everyone around him poorly.

A bit of an entitled brat, Randy Love seems to have it rather easy in life. He achieves professional success without ever really trying too hard. In his personal life – for that matter, even in his professional life – women fall at his feet with consistent regularity. Even when he’s in a bit of a jam, he usually has help at hand in the form of family or friends. Or he deviously wriggles out of it without ever facing any repercussions for his manipulative ways.

Most of Goodier’s female characterizations seem to resort to chauvinistic stereotypes. Such as, a woman must dress and behave a certain way to be taken seriously at work. A case in point is the character of Harriet Love, Randy’s older sister, who must stop smiling to be considered efficient. Women are dismissed contemptuously by Michael Goddard, an older male character in the book, as “broody (girlfriend)” and “lonely (neighbor) wanting a foot in the door”. According to him, their offer to cook for him and do his laundry is just a ruse to entrap him for life, and he must avoid them at all costs. Mary, Randy’s first employer, is projected as something of a man-eater, desperate for male attention. Vikki, a female colleague at his first proper job, doesn’t seem to think twice about unbuttoning her shirt just to tease a besotted elderly male client.

What can you expect from a book titled Randy the Irresistible and a protagonist named Randy Love? Not high-quality literature, for sure. But unlike most trashy novels, it’s not even a page-turner. The book doesn’t have much of a plot – it meanders on aimlessly, much like the workings of its flaky protagonist’s brain. Will he ultimately get his comeuppance? Or will his so-called charm see him through life’s highs and lows? Maybe he’ll see the folly of his ways and start behaving more responsibly? By the time I had finished reading the book, I didn’t care either way. Randy Love left me completely indifferent to his plight, and the book left me more than a little underwhelmed.

I'm usually a huge fan of British writing. The Adrian Mole series by Sue Townsend and the Bridget Jones series by Helen Fielding are amongst my all-time favorite books. But unlike these books, Randy the Irresistible is neither funny nor insightful and definitely not the voice of its generation.

On the plus side, Randy the Irresistible is a quick read that does not take itself too seriously. If you’re looking for a mindless read to kill some time, then this is the book for you. However, give it a wide berth if you’re easily offended by profanities and sexual content. Randy the Irresistible is littered with both. It is, therefore, inappropriate reading for younger readers.

I would give this book 2 out of 4 stars. It’s not particularly well written, it has more than a few typos, and it does not manage to hold your attention. But it’s a light read that may appeal to some people’s sensibilities, especially readers on the brink of adulthood themselves.

Randy the Irresistible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”