Review of Non-Compliant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Non-Compliant

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Non-Compliant" by Timothy McDevitt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creation or evolution? Non-Compliant: A Pastor's Battle with Religious Intolerance by Timothy E. McDevitt pits evolution against creation and government against churches. It is a fictional story with factual scientific evidence.

In the small town of Millersville, NY, there is a small, "peace-loving" congregation at St. John's church. Pastor Matt Kenner had received the devastating news that his daughter, Jessica, had jumped from the fifth floor of a building at college. She had a severe head injury and was in a coma. While struggling with his daughter's attempted suicide, Pastor Kenner received a letter from Washington, DC, stating churches must register either compliant or non-compliant with their belief in modern science. Many of St. John's parishioners believe that creation and evolution are closely related.

Pastor Kenner had to decide if his church would register compliant or non-compliant. The men of the consistory wanted him to register compliant, saying the church believed in evolution. He could not decide this on his own, so he called a meeting to let the church members vote on registering. With such an immense weight on his shoulders, his faith wavered. Will Jessica have brain damage if she awakens? How will the church vote on the compliance issue?

Timothy E. Devitt wrote a story filled with powerful emotions, well-developed characters, and differing opinions among St. John's church members. Outsiders had harassed churches who had registered as non-compliant by invading services and defacing the churches with the evolution symbol of a fish with feet. There was a fear the same thing would happen to St. John's. Devitt did an outstanding job of portraying the anguish of Pastor Matt Kenner as he struggled with his faith during this time.

What I liked most about this book was how Pastor Kenner never compromised on his views. He researched the scientific data on evolution, he talked to those who had taught evolution, and he stood steadfast to his beliefs in the face of adversity. Pastor Kenner had found and read his daughter's journal and discovered his daughter had become disillusioned and had rejected her faith. In addition, she had lost a best friend to an illness. His heart broke, knowing his daughter had been struggling with her beliefs.

There wasn't anything I disliked about this book. It is well written with excellent character development and a creative storyline. The author's writing style is casual and easy to understand. There were only a couple of errors, so this book appears professionally edited. I personally do not believe in evolution, but this book made some interesting thoughts come to mind. For the reasons just mentioned, I am happy to rate Non-Compliant 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to those who question evolution and are interested in learning how evolution and creation can be connected. I would encourage parents to read this book with their younger teens and discuss their feelings about evolution and creation. Each reader will have to form their own opinion on the two theories.

Non-Compliant
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Really interesting book and good review. Through the words, one can feel all the pastor's doubts, fears and even vulnerability.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

A good book and a detailed review it is. I am gonna add it to my shelves and give it read as soon as possible.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have my own personal beliefs on evolution that I won’t discuss here, but I love to hear the opinions of others. Thanks for the review.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I think the book treats two delicate topics. It's an interesting view to try to figure how evolution and creation might be connected. I'll definitely read this book. Thanks for the amazing review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I recently read another book that discusses the evolution vs. creation debate. So, I would like to read this story also. I like the fact that it tackles real issues like people questioning their faith and dealing with suicide. I have added this book to my "Want to Read" shelf.

Thank you for another excellent review.
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

It sounds like the author found a way to address two critical topics in one storyline. I hope there is a happy ending for his daughter.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

markodim721 wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 03:58 Really interesting book and good review. Through the words, one can feel all the pastor's doubts, fears and even vulnerability.
It is very interesting. Are we all going to face similar decisions in the not-so-distant future? Anything is possible! Thanks for your comment.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

k_madhu_jha wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 07:59 A good book and a detailed review it is. I am gonna add it to my shelves and give it read as soon as possible.
Thank you! I believe you will like this one! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amy Luman wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 10:38 I have my own personal beliefs on evolution that I won’t discuss here, but I love to hear the opinions of others. Thanks for the review.
Yes, I believe everyone has an opinion on the issues in this book, which makes it such a good read. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Reader Chavez wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 14:21 I think the book treats two delicate topics. It's an interesting view to try to figure how evolution and creation might be connected. I'll definitely read this book. Thanks for the amazing review!
Yes, it is an interesting book on this topic. One that I believe people will be confronted with more and more. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 22:04 I recently read another book that discusses the evolution vs. creation debate. So, I would like to read this story also. I like the fact that it tackles real issues like people questioning their faith and dealing with suicide. I have added this book to my "Want to Read" shelf.

Thank you for another excellent review.
:tiphat:
Although it is a fictional story, it has a ring of truth to it that someday all churches and pastors may be faced with! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

diana lowery wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 14:48 It sounds like the author found a way to address two critical topics in one storyline. I hope there is a happy ending for his daughter.
Yes, they are two controversial topics that seem to come more and more to the forefront! I think the greatest impact the book had for me was government making churches actually document where they stood on the matter of evolution. Church and state are not supposed to be linked together, but I see that changing rapidly! His daughter is a strong woman that speaks her mind and voices her opinion. It is interesting! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”