Review of Between Worlds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of Between Worlds

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Between Worlds" by Anna Vong.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“You are not alone.” Mary is married to a wealthy man and has two children who adore her. They live in a large house by the ocean in tropical Florida and yet, she feels unfulfilled and alone. She goes through the motions of living what appears to be a perfect life, but there is just something missing. An avid writer, she finds solace and comfort in the privacy of her journal and the majestic allure of nature. Through her writing, she finds an outlet for her pent-up feelings of frustration and isolation. When surrounded by nature, she feels a compelling and powerful connection. What secrets lie unraveled in her heart? Will her duty to her husband drown out the spirit in her soul?

Between Worlds, by Anna Vong, is the story of one woman’s quest for self-actualization. Through the protagonist, readers are beckoned to love what she loves, resent what provokes her, and appreciate the magnificence of the natural world.

The best part of this book is the emotional connection I felt to the characters, and there is an ordinariness about this that makes the story so realistic. The less-than-spectacular proposal just cracked me up! Simple phrases here and there, as well as things that are not said, were cleverly used by this author to make the characters very relatable. After one careless act from a teacher, a young girl doesn’t want to write anymore. A parent watches her child, in his innocence, feel the burden of his parents’ decisions.

I also enjoyed the powerful descriptions of the setting and experiencing the transformative power of nature through the plot. Throughout the chapters, this underlying theme accentuates the storyline and adds depth to the narration. Scenes seem to pause for paragraphs as imagery is employed to satisfy the senses and give a complete description of both the setting, the tone, and the characters’ emotions. There seems to be a parallelism between the forces of nature and the protagonist. “Miles of uninterrupted sand honored its vows of solitude” and other such phrases show the author’s brilliant use of imagery.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. It is professionally edited, which is especially important in a book like this because the absence of mechanical flaws frees the reader to truly enjoy the symbolism and imagery. For the reasons stated above, I give Between Worlds a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend Between Worlds to readers who are looking to connect with realistic and believable characters. If you’re looking for a straightforward and fast-paced action novel, this is not the book for you. Those who have an appreciation and respect for the power and grandeur of nature will also enjoy the descriptions. There are brief sexual scenes, so it may not be appropriate for younger readers. Overall, I enjoyed taking my time with this book. I just may look at the ocean and trees in the forests differently and a little more closely now.

Between Worlds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The problem that Mary faces mirrors the problems faced by a typical housewife. Sounds like an enlightening read. Great review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love stories about people who are finding themselves. Sounds like she found a way to do it. Thanks for the review.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Thank you for your work. This seems like a unique read!
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

A very endearing review that draws one to relate to the protagonist. Very emotional too. 👍
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Well deserving ratings. And a great review as well. I would have rated your review 4 stars if it was an option. It is a good book indeed
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Expressing pent-up feelings of frustration and isolation through writing and finding solace and comfort in the privacy of her journal looks like a nice idea. Thanks for your great insightful review. I find this book interesting.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I'd pass on this book. I'm sure people who love this genre will enjoy it. Great review.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

It really seems like a unique read. I would love to give this book a try. Thank you for the detailed well-written review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”