Review of Apricot Marmalade and the Edmondson Transmittal

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Apricot Marmalade and the Edmondson Transmittal

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Apricot Marmalade and the Edmondson Transmittal" by Lon Orey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The members of the 187th Military Intelligence Detachment have to thwart the nefarious plans of the Communist Party of Thailand. However, they are not the only ones on the ground. It seems Thailand is the current center of numerous espionage networks. When multiple infrared telescopic rifle sights are stolen from the 212th US Army Storage Facility, Colonel Morgan commissions Ed Reynolds and Don Cooper to investigate the grand theft. Concurrently, there is an ongoing effort to decode a file, the Edmondson transmittal, as it undoubtedly contains vital information. How important is the transmittal? Is the war ending soon?

Apricot Marmalade and the Edmondson Transmittal was authored by Lon Orey and published in 2021. Packed with sufficient historical events from the 1960s, the delightful book is both informative and entertaining. The shocking historical events from this era will remind you that this, indeed, is the world that once was. You are plunged into a world where trust only exists superficially. Beneath the glittering surface, distrust is deeply rooted. There is fierce and incessant competition between intelligence agencies. Consequently, fear has found a place among the bravest, and the consequences of this reality will leave one laughing at times.

Apricot Marmalade and the Edmondson Transmittal is a combination of many themes. There is trekking in the dark and treacherous jungles of Southeast Asia. Most of the snakes here are poisonous, and one is always on the lookout for the king cobra. If one is not interested in life on the congested streets, the jungle adequately provides an escape to another mesmerizing but hair-raising world. It equally comprises themes of friendship, betrayal, romance, and murder.

I appreciate the fact that the conversations were exhilarating. The wittiest dialogues revolve around bargaining. The excuses given are too humorous to leave one without a broad grin. Additionally, the reader encounters lofty aspirations in the book that not only resonate with them but also force them to ask, “Why not?” Equally, these aspirations offered a glimpse into the minds of different characters. Adding the backgrounds of some principal characters and their struggles made it possible to relate to them as distinct individuals.

Unlike the toughness typically associated with the military as presented in many books and films, the characters here act more like civilians. Deaths are rare and only resorted to where there is no alternative. The ruthless villains were more vicious, though. I disliked nothing about this book. The editing was professionally done, as I discovered only two minor errors. I rate it four out of four stars. It is suitable for all devout fans of historical fiction. Because of sexual innuendos and expletive words, the book is unsuitable for anyone who dislikes such.

Apricot Marmalade and the Edmondson Transmittal
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

Sounds like a historical fiction with a twist. Might have to shelf it as a next read.
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

Sounds super intense and quite humorous, perhaps I'll give it a read. Nice review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

4 out 4 stars? Great review man. Than I so much for this detailed review. Well deserving rating.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”