Review of Strong Heart

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seaya Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seaya-shah.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review of Strong Heart

Post by Seaya Shah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart, the first book in the “Strong Heart” series, by Charlie Sheldon follows Sarah Clooney, a 13 year old girl, who has lost both her parents and only has her separated grandparents. One night, she arrives at Tom Olsen’s house and tells him that she is his granddaughter. Tom and his friends, who are about to leave for a backpacking trip, hesitantly decide to take her with them. They believe this adventure and experience would teach Sarah some things about maturity, grit and character. Not after very long, they realize that it was Sarah who was teaching them all along and not the opposite.

Sheldon, the author, has done a lot in his life and also has many different interests. He believes that, “Stories are what made us human, and this tale of stories woven within stories suggests how”.

I found the book very interesting and with a good story. The way that Sheldon has portrayed the journey of Tom, William, Myra and Sarah keeps the reader engaged throughout. All the characters, especially Sarah, evolve from the beginning to the end of the book. The individual storylines are also great and it does not feel like there is something missing about a person. There is a part in the story which is about a trip that Sarah had alone. That part was written extremely well, I feel. Sheldon has used very simple and easy to understand English and so you can understand every single thing that is happening. The book, overall, captures the reader’s attention and makes them curious to know what happens next.

I did not find anything negative about the book. There was no sexual activity described too but there were some profane words used out of anger by the characters.

I would like to give the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is an excellent read and it is a different story than what there usually is. The story starts with a backpacking trip but also involves a sea voyage with so many unpredictable things happening all throughout. The story is not at all slow and there is so much taking place that you would not get bored reading it.

In the end, I would recommend this book for all ages, but especially teenagers and young adults because everyone is sure to understand the book. The way the story just starts making complete sense in the end is very satisfying, as a reader.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an excellent start to the series. I'm curious about Sarah's trip and what she ended up teaching her grandfather and his friends. Thank you for your thoughtful review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I read this book a while back. I am not a fan of historical fiction but it was a great book. Great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This sounds fascinating! I'm actually interested how the story goes, since family has a big effect on a little kid and an adolescent. Thank you for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”