Review of Go Forth from Where You Are

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of Go Forth from Where You Are

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Go Forth from Where You Are" by Tova Herman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A woman named Tess brings us into her world in this book, Go Forth from Where You Are. She tells of her ancestry, her experiences while growing up, living as an individual possessed by a Dybbuk and having to feed its hunger. Tess idolized her father even though he was never really present; he only showed up unannounced from time to time till he died of cancer. Tess got married, had two kids, and went through the expected phases of adulthood and parenthood. Owing to her own experiences with an absent father, she was scared of being abandoned by her loved ones, especially her children. To create a buffer against her fear, she clung to the memories of them, but she still wasn't prepared when they grew up and left the nest. How does Tess handle their departure? What actions does she take as a result? Find out in this exhilarating, motivational, and enlightening book.

In this book, the author, Tova Herman, expounded on the often complex issues related to the changes and transitions experienced by many people in today's world, particularly parents. I'm not a parent yet, but reading this book, I could understand the emotional instability and trauma that parents with grown-up children experience. Herman shed light on how children leaving home impacts their parents' physical and psychological well-being.

While reading this book, I was introduced to the Hebrew and Hindustan languages for the first time; the author infused her writing with many words from these languages. Having never encountered them in a text—excluding words from these languages that have largely been accepted into the English vocabulary—they were confusing at first. The meanings of words like Dybbuk, Ein Sof, Ketuvim, Ashtanga, and Manjistha were utterly lost on me. Thankfully, I had Google and the glossaries at the end of the book to help with comprehension, although I only found out about the latter towards the end of my reading.

The book had five parts, and it wasn't until the fourth part that the author started including the meanings of some of these words in parentheses. As a direct result of these languages—amongst other factors—this book gave me new insights into the teachings and beliefs of Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism.

This book was professionally edited; I only came across a single grammatical issue as I read. I didn't find anything negative to note, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to any parent going through the "empty nest syndrome" and anyone going through any form of depression. This book is a good reminder that there's light at the end of the tunnel; it promises to be an uplifting read.

Go Forth from Where You Are
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Thanks for the review, but I don’t think I’ll be reading this one. I had no issues when my son left, but I know others who did.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Feeding the Dybbuk sounds erie. Reminds me of demonic possessions. I like that different languages and cultures are added to educate the reader. This would be a plus for me. Thanks for the review!
Martin N 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martin-n-1.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Martin N 1 »

I am a parent. I think i need to read this book. Apparently, i am that audience you refer to. My son has been playing tricks lately. Thanks for the review.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Interesting read! Obviously we learn as we read, but it sounds like you learned more than you thought you would with the infusion of different languages. Awesome!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

There's alot to learn for parents. Your review was insightful. I loved it.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It's a vicious cycle. We get hurt and we never really learn the proper way of dealing with it. To protect ourselves, we must be emotionally unavailable for those who need us. This is the selfish history that has long been perpetuated. Thanks for your review
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I'm not a parent either. Nevertheless, the blurb doesn't sound appealing to me. I'm sure other readers would enjoy reading about Tess and her journey. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

To run away from relationship issues is not a solution. Stay put and face the challenges. Good book and book review. Congratulations on the BOTD,!
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

This book looks like one riddled with a lot of emotions. I feel like one must face the challenges he/she encounter squarely in order to overcome. Nice review
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Thanks for the review. The plot is interesting and captivating. I look forward to reading it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”