Review of Diamonds & Mildew

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Diamonds & Mildew

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diamonds & Mildew" by Marli Sieburger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diamonds and Mildew by Marli Sieburger is a historical fiction novel that explores the intimate details of the Merlenes family through several generations. Sieburger's story begins in France in the 1800s. The setting travels to Brazil, New York, and Africa as it explains how the Merlenes dynasty became famous for all aspects of the diamond world from mining to creating beautiful jewelry. The book is divided into four parts, which are roughly equal in length and number of chapters.

Book one is titled "One Dream, Many Tomorrows." Most of the tomorrows involve characters who suffer a trauma. Just when I thought that there could not be anything worse, there was always more drama. Book two is titled "The Earth is Shining." This section starts with three pages of anticipation about which character will be the focus. I like how each character's story starts in the present, but the flashbacks provide the information for understanding the current situation. The book's title is explained in this part. Book three is called "Satin, Passion, and Tears." This was my least favorite section because of the confusing cast of characters with similar names. Also, the tone of mysticism is heavy in this part. Book four is called "Shadows of a Legacy." Catarina, the manipulating matriarch of the Merlenes dynasty, uses every means possible to ensure her legacy. She does cast a large shadow.

An appropriate metaphor is used by the author that compares the family's journey to that of being on a carousel. "It doesn't stop; it just keeps making another turn." The metaphor also helps to explain two of the themes of this book: history repeats itself and people do not learn from their mistakes. Illicit affairs, arranged murders, and secretly conceived children are just a few of the tragedies that are repeated in each successive generation. Catarina, a main protagonist, is caught in a web of poor choices that causes a ripple effect.

The 565 pages of this book constitute a strong commitment. I found it entertaining, but it was not compelling. Profanity and sexual passages limit my recommendation to mature readers. References to different religious beliefs might also limit the reading audience. There were some errors, but they did not hinder my understanding. My rating is 3 out of 4 because of the errors and the tedious third section.

I enjoyed the author's descriptive writing style, and I learned to appreciate my simple life. This novel could have been published as a series of four books. However, after I had finished reading Diamonds and Mildew, I was convinced that the author, unlike the characters in her book, made a good decision, and she published it as one volume. Readers who enjoy a long, twisted tale about the pursuit of wealth by secretive characters whose lives intertwine and astound will find this a fascinating read.

Diamonds & Mildew
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

It’s really good thing that there are books for everyone. Good review!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I like the use of metaphors. It would be interesting to explore someones life through a book. Their thoughts, experiences , perspectives providing a window to the audience about the author's life. Thank you for such a good review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

Seems like an interesting read. I love when there are flashbacks in a book because suddenly the actions of the characters start to make more sense when you understand their past. I'll give this book a shot. Thanks for a great review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved reading your thorough review! I am still debating whether to add it on my list or not, but it seems quite intriguing. Thank you for your work!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Amy Luman wrote: 09 Jul 2021, 09:26 It’s really good thing that there are books for everyone. Good review!
Thank you for reading and commenting.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

The frant1c reader wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 13:35 I like the use of metaphors. It would be interesting to explore someones life through a book. Their thoughts, experiences , perspectives providing a window to the audience about the author's life. Thank you for such a good review! :D
Thank you for reading and commenting.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Reader Chavez wrote: 10 Jul 2021, 20:55 Seems like an interesting read. I love when there are flashbacks in a book because suddenly the actions of the characters start to make more sense when you understand their past. I'll give this book a shot. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for the comment. I hope you enjoy the book.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 06:10 I loved reading your thorough review! I am still debating whether to add it on my list or not, but it seems quite intriguing. Thank you for your work!
Thank you for reading and commeting.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the book has film potential or was written under the influence of film art. Thanks for the unbiased review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

markodim721 wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 04:54 I think the book has film potential or was written under the influence of film art. Thanks for the unbiased review.
Good Observation. I think you might be right.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Because of the mature themes, I may have to pass. However, I commend you for a great review.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Wesusa wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 10:36 Because of the mature themes, I may have to pass. However, I commend you for a great review.
Thanks for reading and commenting. I understand the mature themes situation.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like a good book to me. Thank you for the review.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

This book has many elements which I'm not into. I don't like epic and decriptive novel. I'll pass on this one. Thanks.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”