Review of Before The Storm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Before The Storm

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Before The Storm" by Charles Wendell Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before The Storm: A Diverse Collection of Short Stories by Charles Wendell Jones is a 115-page book that contains 12 different stories that focus on various aspects of life involving good and evil. Many of these stories deal with darkness involving serial killers, mental illness, multiple personalities, betrayal, captivity, abuse, giant spiders, and arson. These stories are mixed with stories that focus on the good in the way of fortune, hope, faith in oneself, revelation, and diversity. An example of what you will find in this book is the story of a serial killer who has the perfect plan, but something goes wrong. Another story is about a man who runs away from his life, what he encounters, and what he does about it.

This book has many positive aspects. Charles Wendell Jones has taken his time with each of the stories and fully developed the characters. In each of the stories, all of the characters appear to be someone that could be living next door to you or in your community. Each of the stories evoked some emotion from me. Some of them made me want to cry, some made me want to laugh, and some made me feel empathy towards the villain or the victim. These stories are arranged to change your emotions with each story. I found this refreshing with the darker stories. I needed something to lighten my mood after reading them.

The only negative aspect of this book was that some of the stories’ endings made me stop and reread the story to make sense of them. I think this was the author’s intention to make the reader stop and think about what they had read.

This is an exceptionally well-edited book that has no errors and has been edited by a professional editor. There is absolutely no reason for me not to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Charles Wendell Jones has done an excellent job with this book.

There is some mild sexual content and borderline profanity in this book, so I recommend it to older teenagers and adults who enjoy books that contain both darkness and light. The stories are unique and not connected, making it possible for readers to choose not to read offensive sections. I usually avoid books that contain short stories, but I am glad I selected this one. It is a fast read and kept me turning the pages for more. I did not want the book to end.

Before The Storm
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

This sounds like a book that you need to take a deep breath before flipping the pages. Thank you for the nice review!
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

I like that there is a mix of both good and evil in these stories. I also enjoy how the author created his characters to come across as people who could be living in your community. This sounds like an interesting read. Thank you for your great review.
Tochukwu Sunday
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tochukwu Sunday »

It's Really an interesting book to read,
Thank you.
adriana+28

Post by adriana+28 »

it sounds like a book where you need to clear your mind before reviewing
nice review
Sakshi Singh1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-singh1.html
Latest Review: The Divinely Sinful Saints by Itotko

Post by Sakshi Singh1 »

Thank you for your insightful review of 'Before The Storm' by Charles Wendell Jones. Your thorough analysis of the book's diverse themes and emotionally engaging characters is much appreciated. It's great to hear how the stories made you feel, ranging from empathy to lighter moods, and how they provoked thought through their endings.
Brendan Creason

Post by Brendan Creason »

This book appears to be one of those rare finds in which you’ll be required-to prepare yourself to read. Take a deep breath before, before yiu begin to relax and flip through the pages, engulfed by each one. You’ll find once you’ve started reading book it will be near impossible to put down!
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Sarah Zain »

Different stories mean diversity ,The review explained the details of the book in a wonderful and organized manner . Congrats on BOTD
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

A brilliant balance of darkness and light, with each story evoking powerful emotions. Some endings truly make you think! A compelling read that challenges the typical short story format. Congratulations on being BOTD!
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

A story involving serial killers, mental illness, multiple personalities, betrayal, captivity, abuse, giant spiders, and arson would not be a bad one to read. The author is also a skilled writer to be able to pull this together.
Talib Esmial

Post by Talib Esmial »

This book has many positive aspects. Charles Wendell Jones has taken his time with each of the stories and fully developed the characters. In each of the stories, all of the characters appear to be someone that could be living next door to you or in your community. Each of the stories evoked some emotion from me. Some of them made me want to cry, some made me want to laugh, and some made me feel empathy towards the villain or the victim. These stories are arranged to change your emotions with each story. I found this refreshing with the darker stories. I needed something to lighten my mood after reading them.
Sakshi Patel 1
Currently Reading: Swimming in a Sea of Stars
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakshi-patel-1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakshi Patel 1 »

"Before The Storm: A Diverse Collection of Short Stories" by Charles Wendell Jones is a 115-page book comprising 12 unique stories that delve into various aspects of life, exploring both light and dark themes. The tales cover a wide spectrum, from serial killers, mental illness, and betrayal to hope, faith, and diversity. Jones has masterfully developed the characters, making them relatable and evoking a range of emotions in the reader. The stories are thoughtfully arranged to take you through a rollercoaster of feelings. While some of the endings may require a second read for clarity, this deliberate ambiguity encourages contemplation.

One notable strength of this book is the absence of errors, demonstrating professional editing. With its mix of darkness and light, "Before The Storm" offers a unique and engaging read. It may contain mild sexual content and borderline profanity, so it's best suited for older teenagers and adults who appreciate diverse narratives. Although I typically avoid short story collections, this one was a pleasant surprise, keeping me eagerly turning the pages, reluctant for it to conclude. I'm giving it a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. Charles Wendell Jones has crafted an exceptional book.

~~~~~
VickyLenya
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by VickyLenya »

I love your conclusive review of all the books all at once.Charles Wendell did good in balancing the stories in a balanced emotional situation.Good job
Richeal Streetor
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Richeal Streetor »

Before the storm is an interesting read. The kind that moves at a leisurely pace, but almost impossible to stop reading. The author did a great job in adding details at just the right places and the official review of the book was fantastic!! Great work.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83952
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1153%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Collection of uplifting tales and glimpse of depravity that tries to illuminate and contrast the event happening I like the book

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”