Review of Totem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Review of Totem

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Totem" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Totem by Charlie Sheldon is the third book in the Strong Heart Series. Written about the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest, this series weaves tales around the past and present. Preceded by Strong Heart and Adrift, this final installment finishes off the story to perfection.

Sarah Cooley lives with her grandfather, Tom-Tom. They plan to go on a hike in Bear Valley with their family and friends. When something happens to interrupt the plan, things look hopeless. In addition, mysterious elk-kills seem to keep happening at the wildlife refuge. Carl Larsen’s investigations haven’t turned up much so far. Whatever is going on, it’s all happening in Bear Valley. It would only take one artifact found in the valley to save the entire area from the imminent mining operation. Will the secrets of Bear Valley be revealed? You’ll have to read the book to find out!

I loved the continuous element of suspense that pervades this tale. The way that each set of characters finds their way toward Bear Valley keeps the pace quick without leaving readers behind. Although there were some unexpected surprises for me in this novel, I cannot divulge any secrets here. Suffice it to say, this book provides another great addition, and finale, to this three-volume series.

This book has a lot of great features. It is divided into two books or parts that help with elements of the story. The characters take us through a type of pilgrimage through the history of the Pacific Northwest and its culture. The tale draws a reader to ask interesting questions about history. How did the indigenous peoples of the past deal with climate change in their time? How would one prepare for climate warming or cooling? The answers may surprise you. I was fascinated by the concepts touched upon in this story that could apply to present-day situations. This adventure is immersive, and it’s easy to lose yourself within the pages. However, with the handy maps provided at the beginning of this novel, you’re sure to navigate your way back out again!

I have always been impressed by this author’s ability to create characters that are larger than life. Each one’s characteristics become so familiar that the reader could recognize them on the street were they real. Sarah is an excellent example of a 14-yr-old with an attitude that one could take as stubborn. In truth, she shows a strength of character and a love for life.

This author also shows a well-researched scientific background regarding the mining and northwest history that make up the foundation of this story. Steeped in history, one of the best things about this tale is how it advocates keeping traditions alive in an ever-changing world. I found that to be one of the most important messages of the book.

I found no negatives to list for this book. It is exceptionally well edited. The few errors I found were minor and did not affect the flow of the narrative whatsoever. I highly recommend this novel to readers that enjoy adventure and discovery. It will especially appeal to those who like to learn about ancient northern cultures. This book is more than suitable for a young adult audience as profanity is brief and mild, and although there are a few violent scenes, they are short. This series will admirably grace the bookshelves of homes and libraries. For these reasons, I rate Totem with a shining 4 out of 4 stars!

Totem
View: on Bookshelves
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Great Review! I'll definitely read to find out the hidden secrets of the Bear Valley. Thanks for this intelligent piece.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Thanks for the review, I enjoy the story when I can tell the author did the necessary research. It’s very offputting when the background research of a story is incorrect or incomplete.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Seems like I'll have to read the first two installments before I can catch up with this book. The authors efforts are visible and commendable. Really liked your review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Sounds like a great book. Thank you for such a great and detailed review! I will have to give this book a look.
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

It amazes me when a story based on certain aspects of culture and history is well-written. Your great review instilled in me a desire to know the series.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Having read the previous books from the author, I am looking forward to reading this one! Thank you for the review :)
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Ifedigbo_C wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 03:11 Great Review! I'll definitely read to find out the hidden secrets of the Bear Valley. Thanks for this intelligent piece.
Thank you for your comment!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Ldpuff wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 07:12 Thanks for the review, I enjoy the story when I can tell the author did the necessary research. It’s very offputting when the background research of a story is incorrect or incomplete.
I agree. Research is so important, thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

The frant1c reader wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:08 Seems like I'll have to read the first two installments before I can catch up with this book. The authors efforts are visible and commendable. Really liked your review! :D
You're right! The author's effort's really paid off with this novel. Thanks for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

WADonnelly wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 12:06 Sounds like a great book. Thank you for such a great and detailed review! I will have to give this book a look.
Sounds great! Thanks for dropping by!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Barbara Perini wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 15:26 It amazes me when a story based on certain aspects of culture and history is well-written. Your great review instilled in me a desire to know the series.
Thanks for your great comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

marba wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 03:13 Having read the previous books from the author, I am looking forward to reading this one! Thank you for the review :)
You are welcome, thanks for your comments!
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

I have the first book in the series strong heart. I was glad to know the characters going on more adventurous full of knowledge. I am surely try reading this one as well.
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Novela book wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 11:14 I have the first book in the series strong heart. I was glad to know the characters going on more adventurous full of knowledge. I am surely try reading this one as well.
Thanks for your comments!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”