Review of Powerballs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Powerballs

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Powerballs" by Jimmy Clifton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Henry and Rose Ball are not living their best lives. They are both struggling professionally and in their marriage. Wealthy and successful friends and family members are constantly rubbing the Balls’ noses in their mediocrity. They dream that if they could win the lottery, all their problems would be solved. When the Powerball lottery tops a billion dollars, Henry buys a ticket on a whim and is shocked when he wins. Their sudden wealth steers them on a new course in life, allowing them opportunities that they were never afforded before. But they soon discover that with those opportunities come great dangers. Will the Balls get the lives they’ve always dreamed of, or will they end up wishing they had never won the money at all?

Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton is an action-packed adventure story that also serves as a cautionary tale of what can happen when one is suddenly thrown into a position of great wealth. The tale of how this book came to be published is an interesting one. After the author’s untimely death, his coworkers discovered that he had been writing manuscripts in notebooks. These manuscripts were given to his only known living relative, Michael Hayes, who had this book published.

The story is told from several different perspectives. Most of the time the reader follows either Henry or Rose, but occasionally the book switches to the point of view of one of the minor characters. As Rose and Henry find their paths diverging and recrossing throughout the novel, the varying perspectives allow the reader to tag along with double the adventure. The book was fast-paced and exciting. I loved that there was always an unexpected twist popping up. I didn’t feel that the plot was necessarily realistic or believable, but it was fun to suspend belief and just follow along on the crazy escapades. There were moments of suspense and moments of humor, which gave the book a good balance, and the loose ends were all tied up by the end of the story. The tone of the book was lighthearted and cheeky, which I appreciated.

I enjoyed Henry and Rose as characters, and there were some interesting minor characters as well. I liked that despite Rose’s discontent with where she was as a middle-aged woman, she was still a very strong character, both physically and emotionally. If I had one suggestion for improvement to the book, I would have liked to see a little more character depth and development overall. The characters were enjoyable, but I didn’t really get to the point where I felt like I knew them or understood their motivations, which made the book feel a bit surface level to me.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the book and had no trouble getting through it quickly. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars, and I think if the characters had been a bit deeper, I would have been able to give it a perfect score. I found it to be edited well, as I only noticed a couple of minor errors. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys action-adventure stories with an irreverent tone.

Powerballs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a light read, but I too would prefer characters to be more profound :) Thank you for this insightful review!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I plot is quite different. I never had anything similar to this story, like winning the lottery, become greatly wealthy. I think so this book will be good pick for me. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What an interesting story about how the book was published! Thank you for your thorough review, and it seems that the book is quite interesting, despite its minor flaws.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Nice review! however the story doesn't seem to interest me much. I'll pass this once. :tiphat:
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

The title is catchy but I don't really think the story is. However, thanks for this awesome review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I have found that sometimes action-packed novels do lack as much character development. It is a shame as it sounds like a wonderful book, otherwise. Thanks for a great review!
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

The plot it revolves around sounds very interesting to me. I think I may have to check it out. Thank you for the excellent review.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a fun book. Great review!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Seems like an online book club doesn't suggest a bad book at all. Seems like a good book. Thank you for this amazing review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”