Review of Kingdom by the Sea

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Kingdom by the Sea

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kingdom by the Sea" by R.Byrd and D.S. Byrd.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kingdom by the Sea is a fiction novel written by R. Bryd and D.S. Byrd. This short book of seventy-five pages is perfect for older children and teenagers who enjoy an exciting fantasy story.

The castle of Kelsea sits upon a hill and overlooks majestic and magical land. The people and animals of Kelsea have special powers, and the monarchy protects this kingdom and its inhabitants. Prince Torrance MacAllister III is coronated at the castle and becomes the next king of Kelsea. His younger sister, Kiora, is jealous and angry that her father chose her brother to be the heir to the throne and vows to overthrow her brother with the strength of her powers. After causing uproar and tragedy at the coronation, the king banishes Kiora from the kingdom of Kelsea, but she promises to take her revenge.

When the next heir to the throne turns 13 years old, it is a tradition in Kelsea to throw a huge party and celebrate their powers. The king‘s daughter, Fia, enjoys her party until she receives a letter from her aunt Kiora which angers her. Fia has impressive magical gifts, and her anger displays them in a way that worries her father. Because of her inexperience, her father insists she never leaves the castle and decides her younger brother should become the heir to the throne.

Fia desires to learn about her powers and the history of her aunt Kiora. Kiora plots and schemes to rule Kelsea, leaving the royal family, Fia, and her school companions to defend the magical kingdom and protect the throne.

This fast-paced book immediately throws the reader into an exciting fantasy world full of action. The author sets the scene of a magical kingdom and includes descriptions of the scenery, the luxurious castle, and the plethora of interesting characters. From the beginning, the book has a medieval theme. Power comes from ruling over kingdoms, and families fight within themselves to gain control. The author has added a modern twist as the characters use cell phones, make video calls, and use online shopping. I enjoyed the combination of the old and the new.

The fantasy themes in the book are superb. I loved the special powers some of the characters possess and the idea that they needed to learn how to use them safely. The magical powers are imaginative and add to the story. For example, a Marysol can manipulate the weather and create natural disasters, and a Siren can control the wind and the sea. I also enjoyed the addition of the magical water horse, which added to Kelsea’s mystery and charm.

Intertwined in the story are some budding romances and firm friendships. There are several characters within the book, and some only appear in small parts. I felt that the book had the potential for more instalments as this book contained a plethora of characters that could be explored more.

I felt that the author spent a lot of time describing the physical appearances of the characters. As there are many characters in the book, this consumed a fair amount of the writing. I would have preferred a little less of the physical descriptions and perhaps a little more character development and conversations between them.

The book is exceptionally edited, as I only found one spelling and grammar mistake. I enjoyed the story and the inclusion of magic and fantasy. I appreciated the fast pace, and I was left hoping for more instalments. The characters could have been better developed, so I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It’s a fun and engaging book that young readers will enjoy. The addition of magical powers and creatures will satisfy any young person’s imagination.

Kingdom by the Sea
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
WAFULA RICHARD
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wafula-richard.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by WAFULA RICHARD »

The book seems "mind captive" according to the above review... I look forward to reading g myself. I really like fiction and the review describe great suspense which I must witness
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Wow. Magic and power always go hand in hand. I believe the author should write more installments for interested readers. A beautiful review, well done!
Rohan Mirkale
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rohan Mirkale »

Wow. amazin combination of magic and power always go hand in hand.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

Magical books are always worth a read. They explore ones imagination. I would love to read this one.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”