Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Moraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-moraa.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Rosemary Moraa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer take us through the story of Cynthia, an undercover head of security, who finds herself torn between romance and her job. She has to sober up and figure out how she can save the president of the USA and her heart at the same time, but will she manage?

Cynthia and Dan is set in Washington DC. It is action-packed. It takes readers through modern terrorism and threat to the president from a drone attack. The author spices up the story with romance, whereby Cynthia involves herself in a romantic relationship with an irresistible mysterious stranger. The book had an interesting storyline. However, I wish it was well executed. I also loved the political tension in the novel, although some chapters were very predictable.

The audiobook was pretty entertaining and engaging. The narration was outstanding. The speaker’s voice tone was on point, mainly when he portrayed their different personalities and characters.

I rate Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer 3 out of 4 stars, mainly because it was an interesting plot and the narration was perfect. However, I did not give it an excellent four stars for a few reasons. For starters, the character development wasn’t that great for the reader. I wish Dorothy would have put a bit of effort into developing, specifically Sky, the mysterious guy.

Well, to break this down, Sky came into the picture, and immediately before we could know it, Cynthia was already head over heels in love with him. This was so rushed that it didn’t feel real because Cynthia being the head of security, couldn’t just be easily swayed like that.

On the other hand, the story was at some point, very predictable. However, this could really be a great book if the author took the time to research and develop the storyline and characters.

I would recommend this book to readers who are looking for a quick read, political twists, and romantic books. Some readers who love mystery, thrillers, and suspense may also love this book.

However, I would not recommend Cynthia and Dan to children or young teens because the book has some sensitive content. Additionally, I would not recommend the book to readers who may be sensitive to miscarriage and abortion methods.

In conclusion, I would say that the espionage storyline was great but not the romance storyline. It needs some improvements. At the end of the book, I felt like the story was a bit rushed, and I was left with questions. For example, what happened to Dan?

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”