Official Review: When God Let Me Speak by Lisamarie Thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: When God Let Me Speak by Lisamarie Thomas

Official Review: When God Let Me Speak by Lisamarie Thomas

Post by khaulah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When God Let Me Speak" by Lisamarie Thomas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lisamarie Thomas's collection of stories, When God Let Me Speak, is based on her own life experiences. Lisa is a survivor of a sexual assault. She lays bare the gut-wrenching details of her assault at gunpoint by an unknown assailant. The book, however, is more than a retelling of a tragic occurrence. It is the author's struggle to reclaim her identity and her means of advocating for herself.

The fast-paced, riveting memoir includes a collection of reminiscences, including her childhood memories, suffering from depression, and exploring her sexuality. It also details how she made mistakes in her life that led to a greater relationship with God. Lisa realizes her lack of self-love toward the end of the book. She hopes that by sharing her experiences, she will be able to help others who are experiencing similar difficulties.

I enjoyed learning about life and seeing the world through Lisa’s eyes. Because the experience has lingered with me, she conveyed her narrative brilliantly. The writing style of the author is simple and conversational. I had no difficulty in understanding what she was conveying. Reading about real-life challenges helps us to grow as humans and to become more sensitive. Any human being can empathize with and relate to the story of Lisa.

When God Let Me Speak gave me a better understanding of the psychology of a sexual assault survivor. The author's quest for self-discovery is remarkable as she tries to make sense of her disastrous choices in men. Knowing that someone has gone through a difficult path toward a better perspective in life can be reassuring, as sometimes all we need is to read something that reminds us that we are not alone in making poor decisions.

My grievance with this book is that the author should have included more details about her situation in life in the starting section. I have not read her previous book, so it was a little bit confusing for me. Another issue with the book is that it is full of errors and requires thorough editing. Other than that, I have nothing negative to say about the book. Therefore, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I knocked off one star only for the errors.

The rape is recounted in detail, and the descriptions could be difficult to stomach. There is the use of non-borderline slang words and the mention of drug use. Hence, I would not recommend it to younger readers. Christians may find the contents of the book offensive because the author is critical of the way churches operate and Christianity as a religion. I would recommend this book to any reader who wants to be more informed about the struggles of others.

When God Let Me Speak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Nikki Armstrong, Measure of a Woman by Vinny Green

Post by MarianaFigueira »

OMG, the author is so strong. I wouldn't pick it up but I applaud you for reading it and producing this wonderful review. Well done.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 21:12 OMG, the author is so strong. I wouldn't pick it up but I applaud you for reading it and producing this wonderful review. Well done.
Yes! It takes so much inner strength to write about it. Thank you @MarianaFigueira .
maggi3
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Clearer Vision by Traci Chevell Adkins

Post by maggi3 »

I applaud any author who is able and willing to recount their experiences with sexual assault in order to help others. The details of the rape might be too much for me to read, but this sounds like a fantastic book. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

maggi3 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 14:13 I applaud any author who is able and willing to recount their experiences with sexual assault in order to help others. The details of the rape might be too much for me to read, but this sounds like a fantastic book. Thanks for the review!
Thanks @maggi3!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”