Official Review: The Alleged Woman by Joe Taylor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Official Review: The Alleged Woman by Joe Taylor

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alleged Woman" by Joe Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his book The Alleged Woman, Joe Taylor uses satire to indulge the reader in the disarray and the dissent that is the American election, all in the back of an unfolding health crisis brought about by the Coronavirus. The plot begins when a woman’s car is found containing Biden’s ballots. This draws the interest of an ineffectual New York-based lawyer, who obtains a series of injunctions to ascertain the number of votes discovered. The lawyer is one among a few real-life characters operating under fictitious or their real names in the satire.

Rudy Gullibilliani, the big-time city lawyer, is incensed that there is a plot to steal the election in the little-known county of Sumter. Even worse, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, is worried that this impoverished county might repurpose the used ballots as dinner napkins on Thanksgiving Day. He thinks that this move would be hazardous since scientists haven’t established the lifespan of the Coronavirus on a ballot paper.

I liked this book because of the fresh perspective that the author gave a rather muted and dull subject. Due to close reading, the humor made me discover aspects of the election I hadn’t considered before. A good example of this was the stand that the white supremacists, like the KKK, had during Trump’s presidency, and the role they later played during his re-election bid. It was also interesting reading on Taylor’s draconian view of a group of conspiracists (QAnon) that were made famous during the storming of the U.S. Capitol building recently. Taylor’s suggestion touched on how to curtail the group’s activities in the U.S.

All in all, Taylor’s novel creatively uses irony to promote the reader’s awareness of the Coronavirus pandemic. Despite President Trump’s initial skepticism on the disease, it was touching reading the views of a comical and “smart” character in the novel called President Trumpet. Not only did he embrace a miracle cure for the disease, but he also advocated for the “straightening” of the news channels when he became the president (never mind that he was already the president when he spoke these words!).

On the other hand, I wouldn’t say there was anything I disliked about the novel in terms of weakness, as even the editorial errors were minimal (two) and not enough to affect the book’s rating. I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Lastly, in an era where truth has become stranger than fiction, we may as well take it easy and read a few scathing political satires just for the laugh. Thus, this book will be suitable for those who are keen on reading between the lines as far as the political climate is concerned. At the same time, the book seemed to tolerate racism in American society. So, those who are offended by this are better off reading elsewhere.

The Alleged Woman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

All in all, Taylor’s novel creatively uses irony to promote the reader’s awareness of the Coronavirus pandemic. Despite President Trump’s initial skepticism on the disease, it was touching reading the views of a comical and “smart” character in the novel called President Trumpet. Not only did he embrace a miracle cure for the disease, but he also advocated for the “straightening” of the news channels when he became the president (never mind that he was already the president when he spoke these words!).
LOL. That's hilarious. Sometimes humor and satire are the best ways to create awareness about a problem. And it's hard to do it right, so kudos to the author! And thanks for a great review.
Geroh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Geroh »

The Alleged Woman the COVID enlightening Book;
Thinking that the move would have been hazardous since scientists hadn’t established the lifespan of the Coronavirus on a ballot paper. The book is so much easier to read humourous and educative,,,
Last edited by Geroh on 21 Jun 2021, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

A lot of books centering around Covid-19 have been written since the start of the pandemic but I haven't read one that tackles the virus in this angle. It's definitely interesting. Awesome review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Lunastella wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 10:33
LOL. That's hilarious. Sometimes humor and satire are the best ways to create awareness about a problem. And it's hard to do it right, so kudos to the author! And thanks for a great review.
Thanks for the kind comments.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Geroh wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 15:25 The Alleged Woman the COVID enlightening Book;
Thinking that the move would have been hazardous since scientists hadn’t established the lifespan of the Coronavirus on a ballot paper. The book is so much easier to read humourous and educative,,,
Thanks for the kind comments!
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:

Post by Harty Muli »

Nqobile771 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 01:37 A lot of books centering around Covid-19 have been written since the start of the pandemic but I haven't read one that tackles the virus in this angle. It's definitely interesting. Awesome review.
Thanks for the kind comments.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Satires seems to be my favorite books lately. Thank you for your recommendation, and I hope to read it soon!
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

While I appreciate what the author has done, and love that the book is satirical in nature, I will be skipping it. I cannot stand politics and try to avoid stuff about it at all costs. I do love stories with satire, sarcasm, and humor, especially now. I think we all need more humorous things right now. Thank you for an interesting review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Satirical works are always interesting to read. I love the plot of this book, and I enjoyed reading through your review. I'll check the book out. Great review.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

A book based on recent conditions filled with satirical remarks is going to be my next favourite past time. Great review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This could be a refreshing perspective of everything that’s happened. I’m glad the author could pull it off. Thanks for the great review
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the cleverly crafted irony that dominates the book. I think we all need it in today's stressful world.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”