Official Review: Proles by Joel E. Lorentzen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Proles by Joel E. Lorentzen

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Proles" by Joel E. Lorentzen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 2084. The worldwide society, now known as the Best Society, is broken into two classes, the “Thelites” (elites) and the “Proles” (proletariats). Thelites are considered the most intelligent people on Earth; their beliefs are based exclusively on science. Their goals are to create the perfect society, and they can’t comprehend why some Proles object. Each Thelite’s day is regimented, and every aspect is monitored by implants in their brains known as BioGrams, which gives the Thelite instant access to information. The Proles, supposedly not as intelligent, are considered second-class citizens. Some of them continue to believe in religion, spiritualism, and the ability to communicate through dreams. These are frowned upon by the Thelites because they can’t be proven by science. Proles’ lives are more disordered, but most just want to be left alone to make their own decisions. Thelites have been conscripting land and businesses over the years, massacring Proles who oppose them in the guise of doing it for the common good.

Julianna-119 was a Thelite, or so she thought. Her father went in for his physical on his 55th birthday, and she was told he died due to a complication from a procedure he was given. After meeting a Prole named David that she found out was her uncle, she was informed that her father had originally been a Prole. He had been invited to become a Thelite because of his exceptional mental acuity and his belief in science. David notified her that her father, just before his death, had communicated with him through his dreams and begged him to warn Julianna of possible danger. Although skeptical at first, Julianna begins learning things that most Thelites don’t realize and discovers that things are not as they should be.

Proles: A Novel About 2084 by Joel E. Lorentzen is a 355-page intriguing story that will definitely be thought provoking for most people. Although this book has similarities to George Orwell’s 1984 novel, the author has given the story his own spin. It is written from the third-person point of view. It alternates between things taking place in 2084 and events that preceded that from 2060 up to 2084. Each chapter has a heading and the pertinent year, making it easy to follow. Most of the 2084 chapters are from Julianna’s perspective, whereas the other chapters are from other Proles’ viewpoints. The author’s prose is well organized and easy to understand. The story begins with Julianna’s father’s death and moves quickly to Thelites conscripting new land for a “Hub,” including killing some of the people who are objecting. It moves along at a good pace and kept me mesmerized throughout.

The author makes it simple to picture what the future in the book looks like with vivid descriptions and well-crafted dialogue. This is a world where there are stark differences between the two classes. In spite of the Thelites’ desires to make the Proles’ lives better, there will never be a merging of the two classes. The penalty for a Prole entering the Thelite’s area uninvited is imprisonment and death. Unfortunately, this book reminds us of the widening of the chasm between the rich and the poor and the increasing prejudice in the United States towards those perceived as different. The recent falsehoods spread by a political party and reinforced by the media have caused even further division. We are also reminded that it is far too easy to receive skewed information and believe what we are told by the party we belong to, much like the people in our novel.

This book was well edited as I only found three minor errors. Because I encountered nothing to dislike and was captivated by the story, Proles: A Novel About 2084 achieves a rating of four out of four stars. I think it would be appreciated by those who like thought-provoking, well-written novels with some elements of suspense. Sensitive readers should be aware there are profanities and a rather explicit sex scene in the book.

Proles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I can already tell which class I fall into that's for sure. I am a firm believer in free will. Let people be. Julianna's journey sounds absolutely fascinating. Did she remain a Thelite or did she convert? Great review
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I enjoyed reading your review so much. Julianna's journey intrigues me, but I wouldn't want to live in the Thelites-Proles society. Thank you for your recommendation!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The Thelites and Proles' world seemed to be put together carefully and 100 years after 1984. For smart people, the Thelites forget to see that anyone can become knowledgeable. Thanks for your encouraging review. :tiphat:
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Sounds amazing and right up my alley! Thanks for the recommendation and the lovely review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Nqobile771 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 08:17 I can already tell which class I fall into that's for sure. I am a firm believer in free will. Let people be. Julianna's journey sounds absolutely fascinating. Did she remain a Thelite or did she convert? Great review
You will have to read the book to find out! :D Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

C Janet wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 03:29 I enjoyed reading your review so much. Julianna's journey intrigues me, but I wouldn't want to live in the Thelites-Proles society. Thank you for your recommendation!
Neither would I! However, it was fascinating to read about!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I am very interested in futuristic books like this.
When I read the caste system, I was immediately reminded of 1984 before it was mentioned.
I enjoyed reading your detailed review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
angelap5467
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelap5467.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by angelap5467 »

Interesting separation of the classes and their beliefs. I can see a lot of people falling into one or the other category. Great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:26 The Thelites and Proles' world seemed to be put together carefully and 100 years after 1984. For smart people, the Thelites forget to see that anyone can become knowledgeable. Thanks for your encouraging review. :tiphat:
It was well thought out and very intriguing. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 21:01 Sounds amazing and right up my alley! Thanks for the recommendation and the lovely review.
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 07:14 I am very interested in futuristic books like this.
When I read the caste system, I was immediately reminded of 1984 before it was mentioned.
I enjoyed reading your detailed review.
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read the book. I think you would enjoy it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

angelap5467 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 12:24 Interesting separation of the classes and their beliefs. I can see a lot of people falling into one or the other category. Great review.
Unfortunately, I felt like there are things in the book that were getting too realistic and are a little scary. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for well detailed review and recommendations. This book seems to be thought provoking and intriguing.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 05:37 Thanks for well detailed review and recommendations. This book seems to be thought provoking and intriguing.
It is both, indeed! Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”