Official Review: A College Story by Paul G. Wright

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Official Review: A College Story by Paul G. Wright

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A College Story" by Paul G. Wright.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I believe we all love reminiscing about our glory days in college. I love listening to stories told by my father about his college life during the nineties.

In his novel, A College Story, Paul G. Wright weaves a mesmerizing tale that engulfs us in nostalgia. Somehow, it reminds me of my father's stories about his college days.

The year is 1989. Mark Bishop is back at Brookewood College for his third year. His senior year is around the corner. However, he has not decided on his major yet. His relationship with Chace McPhereson appears to be perfect on the surface. However, is she the love of his life?

Will Mark figure out his life? Will he finally get a direction? Will he find true love? Will he find himself in the hustle and bustle of Brookewood College?

One of the first things that captured my attention was the cover. It is beautiful. I have to mention that there are lovely sketches throughout the book. This made the book more enjoyable.

Wright is an amazingly talented author. He creates a vivid picture of life in the late 80s and early 90s. I have always wished to live in those times. A College Story made my wish come true in a manner. I wish that I could attend Dr. Abbercath's philosophy class on life. I had fun when Mark and his gang played their pranks. Jackie and Steve's eccentric relationship made me laugh out loud. Mark and Denise's adventures with the rockstar, Traci Vance, were a treat to read. I liked the way the author did not define Traci only with her Rockstar persona. She was just a normal girl with dreams off stage. I could feel how stifled Mark felt when he was pressured to make a decision. I cried when we had to say our goodbyes to some of the characters who had found their way outside Brookewood. It somehow reminded me of the farewells that I had to bid during my college days.

I absolutely loved Denise Cooper. I wish I had someone like her in my life. She pushed Mark to achieve his own dreams. She never maneuvered him to abide by her ways. It was her motivation that propelled Mark's dream.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The only shortcoming was the presence of errors. I truly wished to give it a perfect rating. However, there were more than ten errors. I have to mention that the errors were minor. They did not hinder my reading flow. One more round of editing and proofreading would make the book perfect.

College life is made up of making friends, finding love, deciding on the course of the future, and bidding farewells. Paul G. Wright perfectly captures the essence of college life in his novel. I recommend this book to fans of coming-of-age tales and stories of college life. People interested in the lifestyle of the 80s and 90s would love it as well.

A College Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

Coming of age novels are always worth reading. Bidding farewell to college life makes me nostalgic every time i start to think about that. The novel seems interesting. Thanks for the detailed review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”